Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 152438 times)

Offline High-Desert

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #345 on: May 18, 2017, 09:06:41 am »
Dakota kid, those will be quite the addition to any of our collections.

Eric
Eric

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #346 on: May 18, 2017, 04:59:11 pm »
Made a bit more progress on the yew bow. Still got plenty of draw weight for my target. Please feel free to let me know what ya'll think of the bend so far...

P.S. The next step is to steam bend in some really big hooks.  >:D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #347 on: May 18, 2017, 07:33:38 pm »
Looks pretty good so far. Left limb looks like it's bending a tad more. Man that's a long string, you should make a toggle to shorten it. Just my 2 cents.
Dakota kid those are pretty sweet looking! Can't wait to see em' finished. Cheers- Brendan

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #348 on: May 18, 2017, 09:15:13 pm »
Good call on the toggle Brendan. I'm gonna brace it soon and I'll have a better idea of the tiller then.

Cheers!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #349 on: May 23, 2017, 10:29:51 am »
Quick reminder, i'm drawing this months incentive prize Friday so if you haven't posted a photo this month you need to get a move on 😀

Offline bushboy

« Reply #350 on: May 23, 2017, 12:47:58 pm »
Well the elm is acting like a elm .the strong limb is taking set and vise versa.i made the lower limb like the tree grew but I think I will rethink this idea,after all it makes sense that the upper part of the stave is better in elasticity than the lower trunk section because it had to deal with more stress!it's still a good bow but not exceptional.it will do in a pinch but I'm gonna make a few this summer to pick from.on to a hhb stave I got from marc,payment is forth coming after I finally receive my package from japan.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #351 on: May 23, 2017, 05:39:40 pm »
Well I thjnk Ive got a second bow made to put into the drawing pot at the end. I intended it for a guy for a wall hanger where he wanted a dark bow to match the wood work. But this one wasn't quite right. He kept saying he wants cherry, so I guess I'll make a chery bow, darken it with stain or charcoal,  take it to brace and write do not draw on it. So that means this fumed black locust bow drawing 65# at 28" goes in the pot. It's 60" nock to nock flexing in the handle. 1 3/4" wide from fade to mid limb then dropping to 3/8" single side nock. I heat treated in about 1" reflex from midlimb out. It took about 1.5" set resulting in 1/2" string follow and a deflex/reflex profile. Where half the set was from inner limb deflexing and half was from the induced reflex pulling out a bit. The fumed color is a dark grey/green color. It was fumed for 2.5 days and finished with beeswax/deer tallow mix. If did fret early on in the lower fade when o first braced it and found my floor tiller was off a bit. But there was still enough wood to make the rest of the limbs bend appropriately. So the frets didn't shift at all and I still got a good weihht out of it.

I'll get some better pictures when the rain clears up and I get someone to snap some pictures for me.

Kyle

Offline bushboy

« Reply #352 on: May 23, 2017, 06:39:58 pm »
Here's a look.the bottom limb carries a fair bit more mass but it's abit weaker even after a heavy toasting!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #353 on: May 23, 2017, 11:15:02 pm »
You need to get that bottom fade(inner 3rd) moving more/ some and that weak spot won't look so weak any more. It looks like it may not be moving at all.

After you get the bottom limb bending even, then match it to the top.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bushboy

« Reply #354 on: May 24, 2017, 03:34:26 am »
agreed.

Offline loon

« Reply #355 on: May 24, 2017, 04:43:25 am »
Nice bow Kyle!

Offline PatM

« Reply #356 on: May 24, 2017, 06:56:05 am »
bb, I always thought the lower section of Elm trunk seemed more elastic despite  not being as dense.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #357 on: May 26, 2017, 06:51:55 am »
Still here!!!! Been working 16 to 18 hr days I'll post soon

Offline bushboy

« Reply #358 on: May 26, 2017, 10:03:46 am »
Yes I agree pat,the lower trunk being more elastic,just a bit les bend resistances tried to hold the bow very straight for this shot.critique pls

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #359 on: May 27, 2017, 02:53:54 am »
Here's my 131st option for the trade. It's from a hickory stave, 70" TtT with a 9" riser (handle & fades), 15" x 2" working limbs, and 15 1/2" static limbs. The static limbs can still be shortened if necessary. I'm aiming for around 50# @ 28" but I've still got a lot of wood to remove.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:14:02 am by Red Arrow »
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron