Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 149728 times)

Offline High-Desert

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #405 on: June 27, 2017, 12:23:40 am »
Thanks, it really helpful, the dry erase it's back great for taking notes too.
Ya, the right fade just a touch more shouldn't be about right. It isn't 2" longer. This  is only my second asymmetrical tiller, and it's a bit different, I think I'll get a hang of it eventually.
Eric

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #406 on: June 27, 2017, 12:29:55 am »
+1 To the right fade. That's looking real nice Eric. Cheers- Brendan

Offline gfugal

« Reply #407 on: June 27, 2017, 12:19:07 pm »
+1 for the fade again. just a bit though. It's a little harder with asymmetrical limbs. But if I step back and try to erase the handle from my mind it looks pretty much there.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #408 on: June 27, 2017, 12:35:59 pm »
Great, thanks for the help guys.
Eric

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #409 on: June 27, 2017, 04:27:53 pm »
I had an issue pop up with te secondary bow for the drawing. After a bit of use the string started to cut into the knock and split t open. So I filled it with super glue and samded the back clean to put a thick rawhide overlay on that I hope will help keep the string from splitting it again. I think I need to cut the knock a bit deeper while in at it. I love how this vie shoots otherwise. As long as they don't mind a heavier draw, I'm confident whoever draws this will be happy. I don't have any chrono numbers but it seems fast with a 600gr arrow.once fixed I'll put up a full draw.

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #410 on: June 28, 2017, 01:29:53 am »
The string follow turned out to be set in one limb, but it doesn't show at brace and performance isn't bad with max draw at 24".  What would you do, bin it, leave it, straighten it or back it? Will post a photo later

Offline DuBois

« Reply #411 on: June 28, 2017, 08:17:54 am »
Stuck, I say shoot it in and if it does what you hoped for then go with it.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #412 on: June 28, 2017, 09:20:26 am »
Well, it's not pretty, I wish I'd traced the profile before I started like I'd been told to do, but, I think that some of the bend I put in to set back the handle pulled out and some of the straightening I'd done to the limb has pulled out as well - Laurel just does not take well to heat shaping.  All the same, if it holds up to the next 100 shots I'm going to temper the heck out of the limbs.

The profile of both the limbs was nicely balanced, but now it like like this with the upper (right) limb more curved than the left.  The tips were nicely lined up with the handle but are an inch deflexed now.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #413 on: June 28, 2017, 08:49:26 pm »
Looking good fellows!well my guy might have settle with my plan A,as my boy is quite ill and will be in hospital for at least 6wks,so all of my free time will be spent there.bush.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #414 on: June 28, 2017, 10:53:26 pm »
I'm sure whatever you come up with, whoever gets it will be happy. Hope your boy has a fast recovery! Cheers- Brendan

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #415 on: June 29, 2017, 08:55:14 am »
Bushboy, we hope your son is feeling better soon.

Made a bit of progress fixing the fades. I think this looks better, it still seems to me the mid limb needs a touch more on the right. A few more inches of draw and it'll be there.
Eric

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #416 on: June 29, 2017, 08:56:25 am »
Hmmm, maybe not on that mid limb, it all depends on which time I looks at the photo.
Eric

Offline gfugal

« Reply #417 on: June 29, 2017, 01:54:08 pm »
Which one was the bottom limb? the right limb is longer right, so I assume that's the top limb? The right limb is also weaker in general. I think the fade on the right is bending a little too much now. I would agree, the mid-limb on the right is stiffer than the rest of the right limb (possibly starting 7-8 squares out), but the limb as a whole is weaker. So any adjustments you make is going to require reduction to the entire left limb as well. Are you close to weight? If you are, adjustments will most likely put you under. If you are close I would probably leave it with the positive tiller, it's not that off tiller.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:58:04 pm by gfugal »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #418 on: June 29, 2017, 05:31:33 pm »
I still have a few more inches before I'm at draw length. So I still have plenty of room for a bit of tweaking. The right limb (top)  is weaker, and needs to be for a smooth draw. Right now when drawing, it's still a hair stiffer than the bottom limb. A touch more out of the mid limbs should get me there, then just bringing it to draw length.
Eric

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #419 on: June 29, 2017, 09:19:15 pm »
Desert, I'd agree. Mid limb out to the tip on the right side needs a little more bending.

Looks good though.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI