Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 150882 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, random draw entries needed please
« Reply #765 on: November 03, 2017, 06:59:53 pm »
Yo Brendan, I wanna see a pic of you shooting that osage 5 curve soon or I'm coming out to BC and taking it back! Just kidding.  :laugh: lol
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bushboy

« Reply #766 on: November 03, 2017, 08:15:21 pm »
Nope,im greedy that way!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #767 on: November 03, 2017, 08:17:34 pm »
I would never think of altering someone's work!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #768 on: November 04, 2017, 09:19:24 am »
I would never think of altering someone's work!
That's a really tricky one, and I can see both sides of this.  As an instructor I would constantly alter my student's work to make learning points clear, to speed up the process where otherwise they would not finish within the duration of the course, or where they asked for assistance on a difficult technique.  Finding the balance between 'helping' without 'taking over' was never easy and it was always important for the piece to be the student's work.  Only once did someone say, 'yes, but really you made that' - I hadn't and was able to point out how little I had actually done. Personally, I have not altered a finished item gifted to me, but I can totally understand someone with more knowledge and skill improving something, as long as said item is still recognisable as the work of the original craftsman.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #769 on: November 06, 2017, 05:57:43 am »
Hey WG, your inbox is full  :D Did you get your bow yet?

Offline PatM

« Reply #770 on: November 06, 2017, 08:27:59 am »
WG told me he was in Europe until early Nov. so he may not be home yet.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #771 on: November 06, 2017, 08:58:23 am »
Thanks Pat

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress and chat
« Reply #772 on: November 09, 2017, 02:03:20 pm »
WG has confirmed there is a tube waiting for him to collect as soon as he gets chance  ;D

I feel a bit mean keeping these to myself.  Some teasers from Pat

The birch skin has just gone on.  Looking absolutely stunning Pat !

Offline gfugal

« Reply #773 on: November 09, 2017, 02:06:43 pm »
 :o :o :o PatM once again you produce stunning bows!!

P.S. how do you ship something with levers that long. That would have to be a pretty wide tube no? I'm wondering for myself since mine has about 4-inch levers.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:14:29 pm by gfugal »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #774 on: November 09, 2017, 04:06:34 pm »
A sheet of plywood and lots of polystyrene - like they wrap fridges, washing machines and computers with?   

Offline PatM

« Reply #775 on: November 09, 2017, 04:24:06 pm »
 Last year I used pipe insulation foam taped  over the bow  and then fabricated a cardboard box for the bow. Yeah, the box ends up with fairly wide dimensions.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #776 on: November 16, 2017, 11:27:18 am »

I've got the bow to a lowish brace (probably 4-5 in). The Siyhas are straight and level when it's unbraced, but I guess the limb is twisting a bit when I bend it since they both lean to one side when braced. I imagine it will only get worse the further I pull. So I'll review the limb twist page and see if I can fix it. Hopefully, I don't lose too much weight. Hopefully, I can get it to full draw within the next week or two.
Greg,

Offline DC

« Reply #777 on: November 16, 2017, 11:46:18 am »
That makes me think that the string alignment is out. I usually steam bend the handle to correct that but your's is spliced billets. Double check your alignment first.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #778 on: November 16, 2017, 12:24:01 pm »
That makes me think that the string alignment is out. I usually steam bend the handle to correct that but your's is spliced billets. Double check your alignment first.
Do you mean does the string track center to the bow when braced. Or do you mean there is twist in the limbs? It would be the latter I believe, but I'm beyond the point of steeming out any twist since it is sinewed and everything. It wasn't much twist but I was hoping that If I lined up the siyahs and utilized knowledge of limb twist that I could control it. Maybe I was nieve in thinking that. If all else fails I guess I could chop off the siyahs and put regular knocks on it. I messed up on the angle anyway, their angle is a bit too steep and I'm afraid the string won't even lift off at full draw.
Greg,

Offline DC

« Reply #779 on: November 16, 2017, 02:47:57 pm »
I meant tips and center of handle lined up. You have to watch this because your eyes will lie to you about this. Sometimes it looks like it's all good but it isn't. If you brace it, hold the handle firmly and do some short draws can you feel the handle twist in your hand at all? I have corrected a bit of twist on a sinewed bow with dry heat but only once so maybe I got lucky. You can twist them cold, just grab it in a vise and twist it. How hard depends on whether you are Arnold Schwarzenegger or not. I got that idea from Marc St Louis. I have one that looks just like that,60" NTN and the string lifts at about 23" or so. String alignment can be a real pain with big hooks. I have spent a full day heating and twisting. Sometimes it's a compromise. You may find that unbraced the tips don't line up at all. One will be one way and one the other. When you get to that point watch the string lift off very carefully. Just sneak up on it and make sure that the string doesn't pop one way or the other when it lift off. That will start a second round of twisting and swearing. Maybe put some bridges on it until you get everything lined up. When you're done it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as the limbs don't twist on the draw and the string lifts off cleanly and also sits back down nice and smooth. No shifting to the side at all. If it doesn't come down almost perfectly the thing will throw the string. Good luck.