Author Topic: Living the dream  (Read 4313 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Living the dream
« on: February 24, 2017, 01:55:50 pm »
I have several bows I just haven't seemed to find the time to get good pictures and post. I really need to post some. This one is special to me. This family had some extremely bad luck and heavy crosses to bare. Their father got a staff infection over ten years ago from a scratch on his finger. He became paralyzed from the waist down but kept a great aditude and with great effort can now walk with a walker.
Their son Tom was diagnosed with brain cancer and had surgery to remove it, but it is a cancer that usually returns in time and is very aggressive.
About a month after Tom was diagnosed. His brother Paul who was the nicest guy you'd ever meet, was killed in a accident when a truck didn't stop at a stop sign. Paul was a fantastic guy, he had draft horses and whenever you asked him how he was doing he always answered "just living the dream"
I wish I could do more to help their misfortune. They had a benefit breakfast with donated gifts. I made this bow. It's simply called the Stacer's
HHB 52 lbs @ 25" prairie rattler skins I got from Scott at Marshall. Wrapped red and black thread at ends of skins. I only used one skin I cut in two. This is a very twisty snaky HHB stave that I started with my daughter in law in mind, but things change in the blink of a eye. It had some natural deflex out of the handle. I don't remember length but it's on the short side. Wanted to get more pictures but never did. The close ups don't have any finish on them. As some thing extra special I ask Paul's Mom for a lock of one of his draft horses mane. I wrapped it under the leather on handle I got from Pearl. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:00:02 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Living the dream
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:57:54 pm »
Some more

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:59:19 pm »
Some more

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 02:00:38 pm »
All I got for now

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 02:33:55 pm »
Good on you bj, I love the personal touches you gave to it as a nod to your friend.
Gotta love a full draw picture with old glory waving in the background too.  Great work bj

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 03:04:47 pm »
Thank You Aaron, not only are they a family that had a lot of bad luck, but just such nice people.
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 03:21:24 pm »
That's a nice bow, BJ. The horse hair under the grip is a brilliant dedication to your friend and great way to make that bow individual.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline helmet

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 03:34:46 pm »
That turned out great, nice job

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 03:35:06 pm »
A good bow and a better heart!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 03:39:53 pm »
Thanks Pearl, his wife told me it was from his first fowl ( I'm sure I spelled that wrong but baby horse). She is all grown up now and pulls with the team.
Bjrogg
Thanks helmet
JW my heart is breaking right now just thinking about them.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »
Great looking bow BJ. A special tribute to your friends. I hope to see this bow this summer.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 04:00:01 pm »
Nice stick nice jesture !!
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 04:07:36 pm »
Thanks Paul, I'm very fortunate. The way they did it worked pretty good. They had a hunting stuff table. Each object on the table had its own deck of card. For the bow it was $30 to draw a card. Then they ripped card in half . You wrote your name on half and put it in bucket keeping the other half. You could buy as many cards as you wanted to. My cousin Kevin ( some of you may have meet him at Marshall) ended up winning it. I think he'll be coming to Marshall again this year , but if he doesn't make it he said he would borrow it to me. He's a good cousin and friend.
Bjrogg
Thanks stick bender

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 04:35:01 pm »
Very good job on the bow bjrogg.Very hard to understand why things happen the way they do.Great gesture from you.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 04:53:45 pm »
Very good job on the bow bjrogg.Very hard to understand why things happen the way they do.Great gesture from you.
Thanks Ed. Very true. I gave up asking why along time ago. It sure is strange how it works sometimes though. I can think of three families that have had about the same amount of heartache. All three are just really nice families. I guess what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger. Either that or you go off the deep end.
Bjrogg