Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: Introduction
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 11:29:10 am »
Thanks for the welcome guys! The bow is definitely canted in the pic and has hinges. Thanks for the photo advice. I don't have any more hickory saplings, have a hackberry sapling that has some knots and a dog leg in it that I think I'll play with when I have nothing else. I have access to a lot of whitewoods, and access to probably all the hackberry I could ever use, so I figure I'll learn on it. It splits well, is easily obtained, and y'all say it works easy. Sounds like perfect beginners wood?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 11:40:44 am »
Hackberry loves heat treatment if you scroll through previous builds on here of the wood.Transforming it into another type bow.It's good wood all around and I should be working more of it myself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 11:42:58 am »
Hi Morgan, welcome aboard from across the pond  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 12:05:58 pm »
Hackberry is a wood that you can rush the curing process a little, so if you feel like jumping on another bow soon you got an option.  Just make sure that the back is clean and sealed with wood glue, paint, shellac, or something to keep the moisture from leaking out the back and causing checks. 

Then you can saw, chop, hatchet, split, or drawknife down to near bow dimensions.  Let it rest in the house, especially if you can find a spot where air circulates nicely.  I suggest you find an inexpensive kitchen scale that will weigh in grams.  Weigh the stick every few days and write down the weight.  When it is losing only a gram or two daily, you have a stave that is pretty dang close to final internal moisture rate. 

Now you can start pushing it a little harder.  Leave it in your car/truck with the windows rolled up and parked in the sun.  Even at this time of year up here in South Dakota, some days the car can get up to 80-85 degrees. Where you are, it will get even warmer and it will help wring out moisture.  When it stops losing any moisture, you are ready to tiller. 

I have taken a hackberry stave from green cut to finished sinewed bow in 30 days this way in the summer.  No checking, no cracking! 

The key points are: 1) flawlessly clean back (easy to do with green hackberry because the bark peels off by hand). 2) Sealing that back tight.  3) Getting the stave down close to bow dimension.  4) Let it dry slowly at first. 5) When drying slows, push a little harder. 

You got a great start with what you have shown us, so far!  Mighty glad you decide to start posting, looking forward to your next bow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 12:20:52 pm »
Welcome aboard, looks like you are ready to run!
1’—>1’

Offline Thunder

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 01:42:54 pm »
Welcome to PA!  8)
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 02:04:01 pm »
Welcome. 

Hackberry, by all accounts, is a great wood to learn on, so good luck on your next one.  Restrain the small diameter splits to dry. 

And I've seen better tiller than the pic you posted, but I've sure seen worse!  Much of it first hand! ;D

Offline Morgan

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 02:29:51 pm »
Thank you all again for the warm welcome, encouragement, and advice.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 04:18:55 pm »
Looks good but a white-wood bow on a white background don't go together well
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 07:01:58 pm »
Welcome to PA, Morgan.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?