Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Morgan

Introduction
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:07:24 am »
Hello, my name is Morgan. I'm from Oklahoma.
 I've been reading posts here for quite some time and just getting around to registering.
I'd like to thank everyone in this community that takes the time to help newcomers such as myself, it is much needed, and very encouraging. I have scratched out a handful of bows, a couple  from boards and couple from staves, and have broke a few too. Most the staves that I have cut have  had grub damage, or twisted badly when splitting. I just cut some hackberry a few days ago though that I think is going to make me 10 or 12 nice staves to work on and about 6 not so nice. :) my latest attempt at making a bow was from a 2 1/2" hickory sapling 55" long. I made a stiff handled bow poorly tillered to 47# @ 27". Each limb has twist in opposite direction and I had some problems tillering where some humps on the back are that resulted in hinges. But I guess it's a bow. Started with 1 1/2" of natural reflex, finished with the same amount of follow after 100 shots or so. I am not proud of this bow for what it is, but I really didn't think it would ever push an arrow, so I guess ugly success is still success. Still have finishing work on it.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:18:22 am »
Welcome to PA!  From what I can see your tiller doesn't look to bad. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:34:00 am »
Welcome aboard and nice bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gfugal

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 12:49:55 am »
Welcome. I'd say Its a good bow. You could reduce it to 40 lbs. That will give it more life and allow you 7 lbs to fix the tiller in. Either that or live with it how it is, put qnother 200 arrows through it and put some fonish on. Its not bad. A good shooting bow like that is better than a broken bow.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 01:27:39 am »
Welcome to PA.You did get the most out of that one though and I'm sure it'll shoot.Just think what you could do with a little longer better stave.Good luck with the hackberry.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 02:08:57 am »
Yeah I just see what looks like a hinge about a half handle from the upper fade that's worrying

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 04:33:01 am »
Welcome to the group, enjoy. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 06:25:29 am »
Welcome nice looking bow

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 06:54:29 am »
Welcome aboard Morgan. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 07:42:49 am »
Welcome, and it looks like you're off to a great start!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 07:48:24 am »
Welcome Morgan nice bow hope to see more !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 08:22:10 am »
Welcome! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 08:59:38 am »
Welcome, make your way up to Marshall, Mo here in July and we'll get you fixed up with some good bow wood.  Or Ojam is just around the corner.  Good to have you on board Morgan.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 09:02:59 am »
Bytheway a little photography tip. Make sure you have a good backround that we can see your bow. The yellow white behind the light wood makes it difficult to see the bend. Also make sure that your bow is straight up and down when drawing it for the pictures sake. In this one your top limb looks like it's leaning towards us and the bottom away. It makes it hard for us to see what the real tiller is like. Now that loon pointed out that hinge it worries me too. I wouldn't finish it until you know for sure it holds up, I've made that mistake. I don't know if you can completely work out that hinge without dropping the weight into the 30s or lower, so I'd say to pat yourself on the back and move on to the next. Either way its still a good piece of work.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 09:15:31 am »
Hey Morgan, Welcome!
Looks like a great start to me. Don't discount the work you've done cause you've obviously put a lot of thought and effort into it. Is the bow canted in the pic?

Got anymore Hckory saplings laying around?