Author Topic: Cane vs shoots.  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Morgan

Cane vs shoots.
« on: March 03, 2017, 12:53:46 am »
Hey guys, when y'all make arrows, do you prefer shoots or cane. I know of lots of river cane breaks and been noticing lots of shoots, no clue what species as I never paid much mind to the bushy stuff till I saw y'all making arrows out of it. I'd like to get to the point where I make all of my stuff like many of you do. Basically, which is more newbie friendly and durable?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Cane vs shoots.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 07:00:22 am »
I'm not a big fan of river cane.  The stuff I cut wasn't very good.  Danznbar has some nice river cane.  I prefer hill cane and tonkin Bamboo.  I haven't tried any shoot material yet.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 09:39:10 am »
Even though hill cane grows along the creek that runs through our property I prefer sourwood shoots for arrows. Hill cane makes great arrows and I've made plenty of them but shoots are my preference. Neither on these are simple for making arrows but using raw materials like these will help you understand arrows more. IMO.
 Where do you live? A few pics will help us help you ID the shoots near you. Now is a great time to harvest both cane and shoots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 11:18:59 pm »
I live in northeastern Oklahoma. When I get back down to the creek, I'll take some pictures. The cane, I never heard called anything but river cane. Don't get very big around, some of it is fairly tall probably 15-20'. None of it is big round enough to make a respectable cane pole out of, but some folks around here job it in mud banks for limb lines. Really think I want to try it.
How big round should I be looking for? I know the spine can vary a lot, but when I go to cut, what should I be cutting? Range of 5/16-3/8 tip to butt work?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 12:00:57 am »
I make my hill cane arrows about 3/8" at the base, 5/16" at the nock on a 30" arrow for a 45# to 60# draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC