Author Topic: Top limb or bottom limb  (Read 2817 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Top limb or bottom limb
« on: March 03, 2017, 07:49:28 pm »
A question here regarding choices made.Different viewpoints wanted.For reasons of longevity.Say you've made a bow.It's very close to even tillered.It matters neither way which way it's shot.String alignment is dead center to handle.You have one limb with slightly more reflex than the other though at rest.Thickness dimensions are exactly the same in each limb.For positive tiller do you weaken the reflexed one for more bend for the top limb?Or Do you weaken the flatter profiled limb for the top limb?This is assuming the bottom limb will take more abuse over time because of the position the arrow is nocked on the string and the draw pull underneath with the split finger shot.My arrow shelf is approximately 1.75" above center on handle.In the past I've put the flatter profiled limb on the bottom.
This is an age old decision everyone has to make.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:50:46 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Top limb or bottom limb
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 08:56:16 pm »
Very interesting question. My first thought would be to put the reflexed limb on the bottom because with the continual stress from the reasons you described it may eventually loose some of reflex over time, thus creating a more balanced profile. Just my initial thoughts and I'd love to have someone prove me wrong.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 09:06:06 pm »
The reflexed limb would be easier to stay closer the string positive tiller wise that's for sure on the bottom.I can see your point and the balancing out reason too over time..
BowEd
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 11:21:13 pm »
the more reflexed limb has traveled further to get to even, so it is.........weaker?

I would not be inclined to make it the bottom, and the crystal ball at the bowyers bar might have an anwser for "how much", should you choose to add positive tiller at this time. If you shoot it "as is" with the more reflexed limb up, and the reflex pulls out, you should be able to see it happen.

disclaimer:  WAGFW

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 11:31:07 pm »
I would go with the stiffer limb as the bottom.
No positive tiller on symmetrical bows.
uneven reflexed limbs cause uneven brace tiller aka pseudo-positive tiller

I would take it in the hands, close eyes, feel how the limbs want go - that one that bends further to the archer is the upper.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 02:39:57 am »
I would go with the stiffer limb as the bottom.
No positive tiller on symmetrical bows.
uneven reflexed limbs cause uneven brace tiller aka pseudo-positive tiller

I would take it in the hands, close eyes, feel how the limbs want go - that one that bends further to the archer is the upper.

Me too :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 06:58:15 am »
Thanks fellas.It was an assurance question....lol.I do always go with the stiffer at the bottom in the past of course,but at brace and at full draw they can look then feel different.In that order.
Over time any weaker limb will reveal itself.Working it plenty on the tree helps,with longer bracing times.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 07:19:42 am »
Thing is only the maker can know the tendencies of the wood in the bow there making as tillering progresses.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 08:21:48 am »
That's what I do.i try to get the tiller dead even. But if I don't want to loose any weight and one limb is not more than 1/4 " off at brace I take the greatest distance at fade and make that my top limb. Then I cut my shelf a 1-1/4" above center. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 08:23:23 am »
Sometimes non intentionally a limb can have more reflex before tillering or say doing a character stave,or say tillering a reflexed bow that has slightly more reflex on one limb than the other.The reflexed limb can be weakened to be the top limb to even tiller it.Or it can get put into the bottom limb too.I always thought even with symmetrical limbs because of the slight pressure difference of pulling on the string the bottom limb takes more abuse.By putting the flatter profiled limb on the bottom it would be able to with stand for the long term the abuse,but wood removal from the reflexed limb does make it weaker but in position to not take the strain.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 08:24:24 am »
Yes Selfbowman.I do that too always.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 08:42:59 am »
Always make the bow the way it grew in the tree. That way you don't have to debate which limb goes where. ;)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 10:41:46 am »
I think it depends on the bow and how it is shooting,,
the string may be down the center,, but one of the limbs as top limb will probably shoot better or be easier to tune, or shoot a wider range of spine,,
I have found that it may "look". one way,, as far as string alignment ,,,but shooting the bow will tell you otherwise,,
so that would be my main determining factor and I would adjust the tiller if needed,,, putting the stiff limb where ever the bow shot best,,
if that was on top I would probably adjust the tiller if needed to get a bit of positive tiller,,
  I usually put a limb that has a bit more reflex on the top,, in my experience,, after a lot of hard shooting, ,the limb with the most reflex is most likely to give in a bit or shift a bit,,, if it is on top,, and the tiller becomes a bit more positive,,then little or no adjustment may be needed to shoot well,,,,, if that limb is on the bottom,, and gives in a bit,, you have lost your positive tiller,, and it could effect the way the bow is shooting,, a longer bow is not as sensitive,,, but if the bow is a bit short,, the tiller may have to be adjusted to get perfect arrow flight,,,
    that being said,, good points above,, that is just my preference based on my experience,,and have not doubt there are many ways to skin cat in this situation :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 11:50:24 am »
I actually have the arrow pass at 1.25 in. though that may vary according to tiller requirements. These days I would also reflex the other limb the same amount.
Usually, though, I put the stronger limb on the bottom.
Good point made above that both limbs should move just about the same distance no matter.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 12:11:16 pm »
Always make the bow the way it grew in the tree. That way you don't have to debate which limb goes where. ;)
That means with Vine Maple I would have to cant the bow ;D ;D