Author Topic: Arrow wrench.  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Morgan

Arrow wrench.
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:21:53 pm »
Do any of y'all use an arrow wrench for straightening cane shafts? Someone posted a video of a Korean fletcher using a wrench that looked like a slot cut at 45° And used it like pliers. I think I like this idea better than just a hole drilled in a piece of wood or antler, but not having first hand experience I don't know which would be better.
 What is y'alls opinion?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow wrench.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:27:17 pm »
I use a wrench but only on difficult bends. You have to be careful you don't do more damage on a hot shaft by denting it with the wrench.
Once heated cane, especially, plasticizes well so you can hand straighten most bends by hand. The secret is to not overwork the heated shaft. Straighten a bend and set it aside to cool before moving to the next bend.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:35:37 pm »
Thanks pat. I'll be gathering up a gob of cane next week to dry out, just trying to have my game plan for when it's dry :).
How do you account for the varying size of the cane when using glue on field points? Do you just get a variety of points and use closest to what you have?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:06:25 am »
I made a wrench out of a maple branch about 1.25" in diameter.  the hole through it is .75" at approximately 45 degrees. I think it is important to round off the entry and exit angles to prevent denting.  I got the idea from the korean arrow maker--I think he just uses a pad on his fingers to protect from the heat. It is a super simple tool, but very useful for me.  I can apply more precise pressure where I need it and protect the parts I don't want to bend again.

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 12:29:38 am »
Also, someone said that applying pressure for a few seconds until the cane cools, then letting go helped..

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 02:26:51 am »
If you straighten them while green and lash them to a straight sturdy pipe to dry, it will be less work later with the heat treatments.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 07:41:28 am »
Check out Danznbar's arrow straightening jig he posted a while back.  It works very well on bamboo and cane shafts.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 01:03:24 pm »
I made two or three wrenches until I finally got one that felt right and didn't kink the shaft. I noticed the last time I watched the Japanese arrow makers video that he slides the wench up and down the arrow as he's rotating bending it. It looks to me like it a method of getting the worse bends out in one smooth motion(from 4:00 to 5:00 minutes in the video). I haven't tried it yet as I haven't needed any new arrows.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 03:15:17 pm »
I have made two wrenches so far not sure If I like them or not. Heck I might be doing it all wrong lol. I did notice not to put too much pressure as you are working along you can snap some cane quick if your not paying attention to what you are doing. Learned that the hard way!
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 06:52:59 pm »
If you can get a piece of wood that has a bend a little just before the slot you don't have to open your hand as far and it makes it a lot easier to use. One of the Japanese or Korean videos uses one like this.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 11:31:28 pm »
Check out Danznbar's arrow straightening jig he posted a while back.  It works very well on bamboo and cane shafts.

Do you know the name of the post? Tried in search and this thread was all that shower

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 11:47:57 pm »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Morgan

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 10:04:16 am »

Offline gfugal

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 12:23:45 pm »
Do any of y'all use an arrow wrench for straightening cane shafts? Someone posted a video of a Korean fletcher using a wrench that looked like a slot cut at 45° And used it like pliers. I think I like this idea better than just a hole drilled in a piece of wood or antler, but not having first hand experience I don't know which would be better.
 What is y'alls opinion?
Is this the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK5INvoNTdk
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 05:43:33 pm »
 What is y'alls opinion?
Is this the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK5INvoNTdk

Yes