Author Topic: This years peppers are started!  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

This years peppers are started!
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:25:05 am »
I've got this years batch of peppers started with a handful of sprouts taking off. This year I started the seeds in wet paper towel, that I put in a ziplock bag, which I put in a bin of my snake rack where over the heat tape is 90*. All the fertile seeds start rooting out very quickly. Some after just 2 days and others about a week. But this year I'm growing Hungarian wax, Chocolate Moruga Scorpions, and a couple Peter peppers. I grew the Hungarian wax last year and I think they are one of the sweetest peppers I've tastes. They're great pickled and used in cooking,are large enough to stuff, and delicious raw. Being very sweet with a little citrus zip to it. I grew some ghost last year and wanted to try something different so I got a couple packs of chocolate scorpions. I've read they're supposed to be the best tasting super hot, with an earthy, smoky flavor. And an average scovilles rating off 1.25 million and rarely if ever dropping below 1million. Before the heat numbs your taste buds. And the peter peppers, because, who wouldn't want to grow a bucket full of little Peter peppers. If your not familiar with them. They are worth a look on google. Here's a couple pictures, all those dots on the paper towel are scorpion seeds that have sprouted roots.

So what's everyone else growing this year?

Kyle

Offline TimBo

Re: This years peppers are started!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:18:16 pm »
Good work!  This time of year is always busy for me, so I am pretty haphazard seed starter.  I have some greens in a cold frame, and the usual tomatoes, peppers, etc. in my greenhouse.  At least one weensy pepper is up already (I didn't presoak them this time - that's a good idea that I forgot about).  I am going to try hard to grow a bunch of brussel sprouts this year.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 01:24:38 pm »
So far all I'm growing is... old.  ::)
 ;)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 03:32:15 pm »
Going to try potato boxes again, tomatoes, peas, maybe Indian corn, some mild peppers for the lady, squash,  hops are perennial, eggplant, when it warms up a bit more. Got to trim back the grape vines, till and fertilize when the hand heals more.  Put some red oiser dogwood shoots in the lowest part of the garden, so maybe I can grow some arrows😀.  Got chives up already, and will put in garlic.  May find enough time to raise Cain, too😂👹! On the other hand, when it's springtime in the Rockies, it's hell down on the Chariton and the Ozarks!  We normally get a hard frost even into April, sometimes May.  What part of the Chariton are you near? 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 05:43:40 pm »
Sounds like you guys are gonna have some good gardens going.
My family has some land by Callao on the Chariton. So Macon county in the Northeast corner. I love only 15 minutes from the farm by Bevier.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 06:06:19 am »
We almost put in some radishes the other day.I see there's snow on the ground this morning though.We're going to try to get some brussel sprouts going this year too.Other then that the usual I quess.Tamatos,green beans,squash,peas,carrots,and some garlic again too.Got plenty of jalapeno peppers but maybe some sweet peppers his year.Used to have a nice strawberry patch.Did pick 35 pounds of black raspberries last summer though too.It's almost that time of year up here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 07:22:27 am »
Don't even think about garden here till mid May. In the single digits here this morning. Sure nice to see others started though. I love watching stuff grow.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 11:30:46 am »
Got my jalapeno's, habaneros and chilies starting to sprout.. Just got 11'' of snow.. Mid May seems like a long time away..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 12:25:45 pm »
It's not all that uncommon to get snow here and frost my beginning of may.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 03:57:02 pm »
I'm a little ahead of you guys. I've picked about a hundred Chayote's, harvesting green beans for a month. Tomato's since November, cut two pineapples last week, getting ready to pick and bag collards for the third time. Blueberries on the bush along with peaches and lemons. Also got plenty of tabasco, Cayenne, and Thai peppers along with celandro.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 10:20:03 am »
Winter can be a funny critter on the prairies.. 2 weeks ago my horse radish and rhubarb started peeking through the ground.. Oh well..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 03:40:06 pm »
here on the "Front Range" of Colorado, we expect frost and or snow as late as mid-May.  About the only early planting are snow peas, garlic and early potatoes, well maybe arrows too :NN :BB.  Right now, all of our moisture is on the east coast!  Did get a bit of snow last week, but not much.  Gives us plenty of time to plan the garden layout😀.
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry