Author Topic: Camper Roof?  (Read 11190 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Camper Roof?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2017, 07:25:05 pm »
You petty much wrote my next post Ed. I didn't have a helper so I didn't put any sheets of plywood up. That's ok I needed a little break anyway and wife got some bleach or something to spray the wet spots to keep mold from growing. I worked on a bow for a little. My son went to RV dealer and got trim pieces for all the way around top and also sealer. I was thinking the same way you where. I took back sheet of old OSB down and marked out any cut outs on new plywood. I cut everything out and hopefully it's right and ready to go on. I decided to leave next old sheet on so I could butt new sheet against it. Should get me running true or at least the same as from factory.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2017, 06:07:25 pm »
I added $32 worth of insulation and got all the plywood sheeting on. Everything went really good. I took one sheet at a time off. Traced any cut outs onto new sheet and pinned new sheet in place before removing next old one. I can't make my photo bucket work right now.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2017, 09:24:36 pm »
That'll be worth it when the chilly weather comes.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2017, 08:48:29 am »
Having some trouble with photo bucket not sure these will post but I'll try
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2017, 08:57:37 am »
Had to give it a break yesterday and do something else. Knapped a point, steamed in some tips and heat treated a belly. Felt good
Bjrogg

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2017, 09:29:20 am »
Your rebuild is looking great!  Having worked on several camper reroofing projects, I will be covering each plywood seam with gorilla tape before installing the rubber membrane on the next one I repair.  The plywood wants to shrink some after installation and leaves gaps under the rubber with time.  Just like taping sheetrock, I think covering the seams will take care of the possibility of sharp edges developing under the rubber.  Just an idea I came up with.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2017, 09:37:47 am »
Thanks Jimmie that is my plan. I may even put tile tape over the gorilla tape. It's kinda like electrical tape but wider and should stick good to the gorilla tape. I also plan on rounding off all the sharp edges on plywood and putting tape on them. Also cleanup and service AC unit. It worked great but I'm sure it could use some TLC
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2017, 11:03:10 am »
Beautiful thin point bjrogg.That's a good precaution about those edges on that plywood.Sorta like tape used on the outside over the edges of the window frames before siding is put on.That kind of tape stuff used for that is very strong sticky thicker stuff.
Your roof looks great bjrogg.Bow too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 07:49:20 pm »
Thanks Ed, I'll see if I can post some more pictures. I used angle grinder and floppy disk sander blade to round off corners and then tapped them up with one layer of gorilla tape and a layer of tile tape over that.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 07:55:09 pm »
Next I needed some help. My son and brother helped me get rubber membrane on top of roof. We spread it out gave it a dry fit and cut it to length leaving about 6" extra. Then we rolled it back from the back to just past the middle and I used paint roller to apply the water base advise. Then we had to wait 20 minutes
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2017, 08:01:20 pm »
That is looking really good.  It will be back on the road in no time.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2017, 08:03:38 pm »
Boy yea that roof and seams look nice.She's gonna be buttoned up good.Part of the decay of anything out in the weather is a combo of that darn sun breaking things down too.People with equipment like you know this first hand.Tires,paint,belts,and you name it camper roofs too.That's one reason why I love my out buildings so much to preserve things,and I'm sure you do too.
One reason I bet why this campers' roof went south in the first place besides maybe some mishap done to it but mainly neglect.Your putting right back to like new it looks like.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2017, 08:07:07 pm »
Then we put membrane in place on rear half and I applied adhesive to front half. Then we waited another 20 minutes and put membrane in place on front half. Then we tried to get as many ripples out as we could, we didn't get all of them out but pretty good and people I've talked to that did this before said they couldn't get them all out but they came out after a few days. Then we put side trimon to pin it in place. Next we pinned the front and then the back. Cut  X's in vent holes and pulled radio coax through membrane. It's getting closer sure was glad to have some help today, all went smoothly.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2017, 08:15:35 pm »
Boy yea that roof and seams look nice.She's gonna be buttoned up good.Part of the decay of anything out in the weather is a combo of that darn sun breaking things down too.People with equipment like you know this first hand.Tires,paint,belts,and you name it camper roofs too.That's one reason why I love my out buildings so much to preserve things,and I'm sure you do too.
One reason I bet why this campers' roof went south in the first place besides maybe some mishap done to it but mainly neglect.Your putting right back to like new it looks like.
You sure got that right Ed. It all wears out and turns into junk fast enough even when you do store it inside. Always the more equipment you got the more equipment you have to fix. This was a pretty big job but really it went better than I expected and I believe it's better roof than new. Now hopefully the rest of the trailer holds together for me. I think it will but you never know. Everything seems to be in good mechanical shape.
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2017, 08:32:37 pm »
Good job! You should send some of these pictures to the manufacturer to show them how it should be done ;D ;D