Author Topic: Slightly wonky tiller check  (Read 2279 times)

Offline willie

Re: Slightly wonky tiller check
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 05:12:36 pm »
Quite the porcupine!! ...................Or bend magnifiers

in all seriousness, rather than measuring, just watching the skewer tips as you exercise the bow might be telling.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 05:23:55 pm »
They are quite close. My measurements didn't show up well on the picture so from left to right
6 3/16
6 7/16
6 5/8
6 3/8
5 3/4
5 13/16
6 1/2
6 7/16
6 1/8
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:25:30 pm by DC »

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 06:01:32 pm »
Willie, assuming the handle is level, with a vertical/plumb line drawn on the wall to mimic string fulcrum travel perpendicular to the handle, the hook on the string will leave that line and drift toward a stronger limb. If the limbs are balanced, it follows the line.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 07:05:12 pm »
I pulled it out to about 20"(roughly, I was in a hurry) so same order left to right
6 1/2
6 7/8
7 1/8
7 1/4
6 3/4
6 1/4
They look pretty close. I don't think it anywhere near as bad as it looks. Those that said the inner right was weak and outer right was strong got it. I think if I had started out with equal limbs I would have been happy. I'm going to try this on a bow i'm happy with just to see how close I'm getting.
With this one I'll leave the inner right alone and flip the tip on the left, like Goat suggested. I started this exercise to see if I could tiller a bow without heat correction. From now on I think I'll correct them first. It was interesting though :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 03:33:11 am »
Willie, assuming the handle is level, with a vertical/plumb line drawn on the wall to mimic string fulcrum travel perpendicular to the handle, the hook on the string will leave that line and drift toward a stronger limb. If the limbs are balanced, it follows the line.

The problem with using that method alone is that it only shows the overall strengths relative to each other regardless of deflex/reflex etc....whilst it is obviously a good idea to tiller the limbs so their strengths are even you have to take into account that a deflexed area has to be thicker to give the same resistance as a reflexed limb - this in turn leads to a thicker limb being more strained if bent to the same degree as a thinner reflexed limb, none of this will be shown by the 'Bowjunkie string following the line method'.
Watching the set tells the whole story.  After all went we are tillering a bow we want the stress to be even along the limb without any areas working too hard or any areas loafing, spreading the set appropriately along the limb is the goal not just that the limbs are relatively the same strength.
Different folks different strokes ;)

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 06:38:39 am »
Where did I say to use that alone? It's one tool/gauge... albeit an important one. Unfortunately, many folks discount limb balance, and/or work counter to it until it's too late. If they designed their bows to facilitate it, and balanced limb strength earlier in the process, that too would help with set.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer