Author Topic: Dealing with dust  (Read 6440 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Dealing with dust
« on: April 09, 2017, 12:31:21 pm »
I work out of a little shed, small, dusty and not ideal but it's what I've got.
The last while I've really been feeling the effects of dust, probably the yew.
I always do my sanding and real messy stuff outside in front of a fan, but in this craft, dust is a reality.
I don't have the option of a big fancy dust filtration system, and my beard prevents
a tight fit with most respirators.
Any advice from bearded bowyers out there?
Is there any respirator out there that's still effective with a beard?

Offline DC

Re: Dealing with dust
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 01:02:14 pm »
Is there a full head one? Like hazmat gear but with just dust filters? Be a PITA but what are you going to do? Is it possibly other allergies? It is that season.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 01:02:54 pm »
Check out the resp-o-rator

https://ww w.amazon.com/Resp-O-Ratorhttps-Dust-Respirator-Model-JR-7/dp/B002KA0CMO
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 01:08:28 pm »
There used to be a show on TV about a guy who made giant swords.  He had a similar style respirator

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 01:10:51 pm »
Beards and respirators don't mix. I have a beard too so no go unless like Don says there might be some type of full head gear. I don't know doesn't sound nice though haha like you say I try and keep any sanding even rasping outside. That fine dust gets everywhere though. Maybe make some custom filtered bandana? Cheers- Brendan

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 01:13:25 pm »
Check out the resp-o-rator

https://ww w.amazon.com/Resp-O-Ratorhttps-Dust-Respirator-Model-JR-7/dp/B002KA0CMO

That looks pretty slick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 01:14:03 pm »
Goat, I gave up my pesticide license because the only breathing protection I could use was a full hood with air supply. It just wasn't worth it.
 One thing I've done in my shop was to get an inexpensive box fan and attach an a/c filter over the intake side. This will still circulate air in the shop but traps some of the dust. It isn't a complete fix but it does help. 
 Yew dust is very toxic. Some folks react more to it than other folks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 01:19:47 pm »
The smaller portable collection system from Lee Valley would likely be a great help.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 01:45:31 pm »
With your HVAC experience you could make a ceiling mounted air cleaner very easily.  I made one for my workshop and it works pretty good.  There isn't much to it, just a squirrel cage blower in a box with an air filter. 

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 01:53:29 pm »
I made one a few months ago. I just made a box the size of a filter and used the old squirrel cage fan out of our gas stove. I didn't think it was doing much but I just went and knocked the filter out. Got a surprising amount of crap out of it.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 03:24:07 pm »
See if you can get your hands on an old blower motor and fan from a forced air furnace. If you know any HVAC guys let them know you're looking for one. That's what I used in my homemade paint booth. It moves a ton of air. An effective filter is one of those real cheap wispy furnace filters, but load the side facing out toward the dust with spray adhesive. If you use a couple filter a few feet apart, you don't even need to vent to the outside and lose any heat, provided we're not talking about solvent fumes just plain dust.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 04:44:26 pm »
I use a couple shop vacs, one is attached to my bandsaw and the other is for multipurpose use.  I have found that I have become a bit more sensitive to wood dust over the years.  Some of them make my eyes itchy and irritate me in other ways as well.

I have watched wood dust particles in the sunlight and the stuff seems to like me, when it gets close it homes in on me
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 04:52:42 pm »
I don't turn out many bows, but, I am really paranoid about making sawdust - the only stages I make dust particles fine enough to be airborne are sawing and end-stage sanding and I prefer gravity to take particles away - do you think the fan might be part of the problem by stirring fine particles into the air? I just kinda shake myself down when I'm done with the rasp/scraper/sanding mesh? Having said that there's lots of examples of home-made dust collection systems using vacuum cleaners and bins - a lot of builders put the motors outside to reduce the noise levels in the workshop

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 06:39:46 pm »
I presume you are using powertools? I don't go above 50 grit with the belt sander anymore, 36 actually makes "shavings" when tillering. Have a makita orbital with a dust intregal dust collection bag that seems to help for finishing with the finer grits. Band saw makes more dust than you would think. I reserve some work for outside, when the wind is blowing good. Fans don't do much, especially inside. The dust masks with the better exhale valves work much better than the one without, especially with a beard.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 08:40:26 pm »
Thought I'd mention, have you tried one of those cycle filter bandanas, I've used one for my road bike and when I sand my carvings, they work pretty good and are roomy around the chin, or a dampened regular bandana, with maybe an extra tissue folded inside, be good enough say to keep the worst out...,(and look cool to boot.)    :D,
Here's one off amazon.

R.D.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:45:06 pm by Ruddy Darter »