Author Topic: Nice day to plant some trees  (Read 2734 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Nice day to plant some trees
« on: April 23, 2017, 05:52:51 pm »
Was a beautiful day here today.  Been to wet to plant any crops but I did plant some White Oak trees. Sometimes it seems like you might not get anything from the trees you plant but 25 years ago this spring I planted a couple miles of pine trees in my fence rows. Last fall I put tree stands in two of them and this year I plan on hanging some more. All the rain has my pond I dug a few years ago full to the top. You can see Lake Huron through the trees in the background.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

Re: Nice day to plant some trees
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 06:00:32 pm »
Looking good BJ.

So a guy can hunt in the morning, fish Huron during the day and then hunt at night.  A sportsman's paradise for sure.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 06:30:02 pm »
Yup Jeb it really is a sportsmans paridise. You gotta be pretty close to the Lake Michigan shore
Bjrogg

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:24:22 pm »
Nice work BJ. I really should plant some myself. I certainly cut enough down!  )W(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »
Correct BJ.  We can hear the waves on a rough day. The dunes are chuck full of deer but the problem is most of the property is own by tree huggers and rich ones at that, lol

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 09:23:56 pm »
Good going BJ.You know things are good when you see lots of wildlife.Trees are great for that.Plus all the other benefits they can give you.Nothing like smelling the soil during spring field work but trees are great.Back in 2001 we put in over quite a few oaks of all kinds,maples,walnuts,KCT,and ash on around 15 acres.They are a good 20' to 25' feet tall now.Starting as a little sprig 2' tall.The oaks are bearing nuts already too.In 2012 planted another 4.7 acres into trees again.No tree stands in them but the wildlife of all kinds is entertaining.I must not forget too volunteer osage a bunch too.Along with that forsaken tire flattening honey locust thorn tree.
One thing I like seeing here is the quail that are coming back good.They never left but their numbers are greater.I never shoot em.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:21:15 pm »
Upstate I've been planting trees since 1984 when I moved back to the farm from Detroit. About 4 years ago my brother and my youth group went to Detroit and planted 1800 trees. There are something like 156 square miles of mostly abandoned houses. There's a man there that has stared planting trees on 10 square miles he bought up. My brother has gone there every spring for 4 years now. Many FFA and 4-H groups help too.
Jeb, I know your area really seems to be growing. Been to the Grand Rapids area a few times doctoring with our daughter. Lot of new houses that way.
Ed I love the smell of fresh earth in the spring. I have some Black Walnut trees I planted  in 1984 that are getting pretty tall now and have been producing nuts for several years now. The squirrels love them. Hope I can live long enough and healthy enough to hunt some white tails under the Oaks I planted today.
Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 04:15:05 am »
Beautiful place BJ. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 06:26:14 am »
Thanks Pappy I'd love to show it to you in person some time. Gotta get down to your little piece of heaven someday to.
Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 06:43:30 am »
Yep I think we are both very Blessed men. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 08:23:28 am »
Nice  :OK

Planting trees is something I have been doing for a long time as well, usually trees I find useful.  I generally don't plant ornamental trees, except for Pine trees which are ornamental to me  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 08:50:09 am »
Marc's post reminded me that 4 years ago we planted 1000 pine tree starts and about 50 grew. The drought was awful  that year.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 09:18:03 am »
Yes Jeb sometimes it can go poor. If you can get them to about Christmas tree size they will grow pretty fast then.
Marc. I enjoy my trees I planted very much. Mostly pines but they make a very nice wind break and place for the wildlife. I never realized how many birds roost in those pine trees till I put a tree stand in one. Just before dawn literally thousands of birds fly into those trees for the night.
Pappy I'd say you are very right and I'm very thankful of my blessings.

Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 09:25:01 am »
That can be the thing with planting large numbers of trees that are small.Say 2 to 3 foot tall.A person has to overcompensate  the planting numbers to work the odds.They all don't make it.Planting close to 10' to 15' apart.It's surprising though a dead stem standing you think is dead will have life in the root and sucker up when conditions are better for it.This year is a good spring to plant.Cool conditions with enough moisture.The spring and summer drought of 2012 was for tough on my new plantings.Maybe 50% made it I'd say.
Individual personal trees on the yard and lawn by the home I've tree spade planted pin oaks of 2 to 3 inch trunk thickness.Bearing nuts for years now.Beautiful fall red colors plus deer are right up on the yard browsing.
Planting large numbers of trees at a time in the 1000's which is very hard to nuture watering yourself.The Farm Service Agency here sometimes will compensate the cost for people.
Lately it's been fruit trees I've been planting.Apple/Peach/Pear/and cherry.Blooming and bearing fruit too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 10:28:07 am »
I'm really wanting to get some pear trees to Ed. I'd like to get some that ripen earlier and later. I know guys that planted them for deer and the deer eat the trees. They love pears. The best method I've found for planting smaller trees is just stab a round point shovel in as deep as you can get it. Pull back and forth. Pull shovel out and put tree in slot. Then just push slot closed with your foot. I've had really good results using this method and it's pretty fast too.
Bjrogg