Author Topic: Weather  (Read 3401 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Weather
« on: April 27, 2017, 09:24:57 am »
Seems when it gets onto the 30's here in the morning I still need to burn a stove load of wood yet for the day.A little cool for the end of April.Snowing out in the western states too.Don't have all the garden in yet but will after this cool stretch.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 10:26:44 am »
Ed, we've been just the opposite here...way too warn. It is supposed to be 85 tomorrow. When we first moved here to the mountains it never got over 85 and that was in August. Our last frost free days used to be May 15 and it will be next week before the farmers plant corn and soy beans.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 10:44:44 am »
Our trees are fully leafed out.  The woods are solid green now.  It's been very warm this spring.  We didn't even have much of a winter.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:54:28 am »
Leaves are beginning here in the country.In town they're more leafed out.It's naturally warmer there to an enough degree.Plenty of corn in the ground already around here.First week of may used to be time to plant corn.2 hours to the north of me heavy frost was evident in low areas ladst 2 mornings.
Corn is resilient more so then broadleaf plants.It's a grass.Growing point of corn is just below ground yet.Does'nt rise above ground till it's around a foot tall.It's in the center of the stalk.A V shape if sliced lengthwise to see.Even then with the growing point below the ground like grass frost won't unless it's a hard 28 degree at least 4 hours long sustained frost will kill it.I've even seen corn burned off from frost and return like grass.Still not a good thing to happen though.It's stunts it too much IMO.
Trouble with too cool of weather with corn germinating it comes up a puky light green.Turns a health darker green once it gets warmer temps.
Just takes 50 degree ground temp to germinate.Does'nt mean it's gonna grow fast though with too cool a weather.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 11:54:57 am »
Been a strange stretch - we are in a moderate drought mode on the Front Range, with snow and rain predicted through Sat.  Really need the moisture.  Chives are blooming already and tarragon is up almost a foot, and have a few strawberry blossoms.  Planted potatoes in boxes ,but they are not up yet, also early peas.  Could be a foot or more of snow just west of us.  Looks like almost all of my arrow shoots have taken though😀, been hand watering them.  As of right now, the Squirrel Shoot is still on, but the Captain might change his mind -we have a "snow date" contingency :-M
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 12:49:40 pm »
I remember an old timer around here telling me one year when he was a kid he woke up to 4" of snow on the ground with 2" to 3" of the corn plants sticking through. This had to have been in late May to mid June.
 We have been in a moderate to severe drought here over the last few years. So far this year we are getting over that. It's raining a little now with more in the next few days. A few days ago we had almost 6" in a 24 hour period.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 01:07:47 pm »
Down here in the subtropics its as dry as I've ever seen the end of the season.  Canals have almost gone totally dry in some spots.  Wildfire to boot.  Ash was falling from the sky last weekend and covered the patio furniture.  The water will turn on soon and it'll all be refilled.
1’—>1’

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 01:16:03 pm »
Yes you guys have had fires down there.That's dry.
Yes we needed the rain here too.I've had 4" snow on corn before.Does'nt hurt it a bit.After oats is planted I want snow on top for a better stand later.Granted that it does'nt get down into the mid 20's after the snow for very long....lol.Which it usualy does'nt this time of year.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 03:01:57 pm »
Global warming is scary, and very, very real. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 03:02:49 pm »
We're in the high 90's in Central Florida with record breaking temperatures this weekend. great time to be heading to Tenn.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Patches

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 05:22:14 pm »
Here in Missouri, 30 miles north of where I live is having a drought, with the ground being like powder and the ponds empty, and 45 miles to the south they are having extremely wet conditions.  Water just standing in the fields and the creeks are above full. They weather forecast for this weekend in southern MO is for 6 - 8 inches of rain, but less than an inch where they need it up north.  I am going to try to get in one more turkey hunt and rock run down south tomorrow but it sounds like that will be the last hunt in that part of the country for the season.   

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 06:49:28 pm »
I remember an old timer around here telling me one year when he was a kid he woke up to 4" of snow on the ground with 2" to 3" of the corn plants sticking through. This had to have been in late May to mid June.

I remember that happening up here many years ago
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 08:25:37 pm »
The final coffin nail to the truth about this global warming I guess is all the ice melting up north.Hav'nt heard coastal figures but when the oceans go up.That's something!!!Not say what all the wildlife has to go through too.
The crazy weather referred to by others leads to crazy spotty storms of extreme differences a 100 miles apart or even less.Spotty we call that.
I pay fairly close attention to commodity prices.There might be some crazy wide swings of prices on account of this weather market.
It's the fires that are just terrible really though from dry conditions.That hits home up front first hand.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 11:55:59 pm »
I will second that about the fires!  30,000 acres in March in one fire out here, lots of beetle killed pine in the high country ready to go in a flash, it could get real interesting this year.  The only good part is that fire cleans up some of the understory and helps the lodge pole pine regenerate.  Contrary to some "high" level elected officials, climate change and swings are real, and very serious.  If you aren't about 20 ft above current sea level you may need to develop fins and webbed feet😀😂😪!  Of course, we could be looking at a lot of ice and rain and wondering what is happening, as well.  Support your local scientists, they need all the help they can get right now.  Hopefully, this ain't political!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 05:27:32 am »
It's all happened before and if the world stands it will all happen again. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good