Author Topic: New White Novaculite and Antler Knife.....NEW PICTURE...FINALLY DONE!!  (Read 9852 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Well Cowboy....I got the Blade last Friday...and could not wait to put it together....I dug around and found a suitable Antler for it today....filed a slot in it and pitched the Blade in and went to Sinew Wrap the Blade to the Antler...but my Hide Glue was bad....so I wrapped it with Artificial Sinew until I can get some new Glue....then I will re-wrap it and seal the whole thing with a coat of Urethane to waterproof it...now I got the Bug....so I guess I am going to have to start knapping now....to feed my New Habit!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:28:06 am by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: New White Novaculite and Antler Knife
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:22:12 pm »
Well, didn't mean to be the first one to answer - just happend to be online at the right time ;D. That is one fine lookin knife you got there! Hopefully you'll use it to skin out the next deer you get. I wouldn't worry about sinew and glue - she looks fine just the way she is ;D!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

wvfknapper

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 01:28:58 am »
Yank, Nice work on the knife ,,,When hafting knives , I almost never use hide glue when I put sinew on a haft,, Just soak the sinew in warm water or chew it up a bit as the spit creates a glue on sinew :)  wrap the sinew until it looks a little thick cause it will shrink a bit,, let it dry overnight , then I use clear two part epoxy to cover the sinew for a waterproof cover.

A little secret to hafting I learned a few years back when using epoxy as a glue in the socket of a haft,  is to put a drop of Indian ink in the glue mixture after you mix it up, and it turns it coal black so as to look like pitch and it doesn't affect the strength of the glue.

wvflintknapper

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 01:41:46 am »
beautiful blade, Cowboy and nice hafting Yankee. Good choice of handles. When you re-wrap the hafting with sinew, why not use pitch varnish for a water proofing. It works great sealing my primitive arrows and waterproofing sinew wraps. Just dissolve pitch in denatured alcohol(even though denatured alcohol isn't primitive...use moonshine ;D), strain it and keep in an airtight jar. I use a watercolor paint brush to apply it. The brush will stiffen after use but putting it back in the varnish will soften it back up for next time. Any tree pitch, soft wood or hard wood(especially fruit trees) should work.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 02:06:39 am »
Pat....Robert....thanks for the Helping Information...It will be helpful on my Next One....and now I know that there will be others!!! I have decided to use some Pig Gut Hafting that I have to finish it up....I think this will work fine...and will be quite strong too when dried
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:14:43 am by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:33:05 am »
Nice knife yankee, I'm jealous :P
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:14:23 am »
Thanks Dana.......It will look better when I get the rest of the Pig Gut Hafting Material I need to Haft it properly...then I can clear Coat the Antler too and make it shine some
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 05:06:49 pm »
Very nice guys.  Is that the blade Paul showed off from his last job site in his "killin time" post?

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 09:48:01 pm »
Very nice guys.  Is that the blade Paul showed off from his last job site in his "killin time" post?

Otoe

Yep...thats the Blade.....I traded Him the Blade for a Box O Rocks!!!!!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 10:35:57 pm »
Beautiful knife brother... you done good putting her together... Cowboy ..you make me want to practice my knappin a lot more ... excellent blade, I am sure Yankee will have good medacine with her on the hunt.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 10:45:16 pm »
Thanks Mike! I agree - that blade would look alot better with blood, meat, and some fat stuck to it ;D. That would be some good practice Yankee - after ya skin the deer ya gotta touch up the edge some. Just pick that edge back and forth - voila, resharpened..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 10:50:51 pm »
I love it - ya both done fine. Great tips on the India Ink to color epoxy, and the pittch varnish too. (If I can just retain them - LOL)
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 05:11:46 am »
wow! - nice knife...f.
Frank from Germany...

Bishop

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 11:22:06 am »
well done fellas, pretty knife!...looking at Cowboys work never fails to remind me of how bad of a flintknapper i am....lol....
Bishop

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 12:27:51 pm »
That is great guys. It is a great knife and you should both be proud. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah