Author Topic: Deep Roots. Finished up and hunting  (Read 11199 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Deep Roots. Finished up and hunting
« on: June 24, 2017, 03:19:25 pm »
A few of you may have seen me working on this one at Marshall. I wanted to make this one for my cousin. I'm his elder by one month. He has to respect me. We grew up pretty much inseparable. He's lived in California for most of his adult life but comes home every year. He is in around about way to blame for me becoming addicted to all this Primitive stuff. I thought I'd return him the favor. I think I'm going to call this one Deep Roots. He just wants it simple. We'll see. So far it's just naked but he shot it a bunch last night. He's been shooting fg for a little over a year now. I think he's going to be shooting this till he wears it out.
It's 68"ntn around 62@29 HHB
Enough talk just have fd picture
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:49:06 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Deep Roots
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 03:39:40 pm »
Another nice one there BJ looks like it will take him a while to ware it out !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 03:59:03 pm »
dont matter who says what,sir....real hard to beat a good ironwood bow and that looks like a real good one
rich

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 06:36:39 pm »
Sweet one bjrogg.A good workhorse of a bow too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 07:08:45 pm »
I'll bet he'll never go back to FG after getting used to that beauty. Good medicine too shooting a bow made for you by family.  :)

Great work as always BJ
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 07:21:59 pm »
That is an excellent tiller. Great bow! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ksnow

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 09:21:11 pm »
Excellent bow BJ. Very nice, beautiful tiller. What a great way to "pay" him back.

Kyle

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 10:24:02 pm »
Great story and great bow. 
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline helmet

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 10:29:07 pm »
Out standing bow!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 02:52:02 am »
Way cool BJ  :BB :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 07:37:30 am »
I remember that one. Good looking bow, BJ.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 09:21:15 am »
Thanks Stick Bender, I sure hope your right. I'd really like this one to last him along time.

Thanks Half Eye, I really don't have much to compare it to. I did make one out of Ash and one of Elm. I kinda goofed up the Elm. I've made enough of these now that I almost know what to expect from them. I'm happy with them.

Thanks Ed, I'm banking on the workhorse version. I doubt it'll receive any tender treatment. The first thing he did was get a huge smile turn into Super Man and draw it to his ear and hold it. Had to be all of 31". He knows better to. I told him I was glad it passed that test but not to do that again or Super Man might have a broken or damaged bow.

Thanks Jeff, you are right all he wants to do is shot this thing now. The fg is just sitting in the corner. He was a bit nervous about shooting off the knuckles and I told him I could still build a arrow shelf. After shooting it he just couldn't stop saying how much he liked it  and not to put a shelf on.

Thanks Kyle, you know what they say about paybacks. He is planning on coming back this fall to hunt. I made him a few arrows to. A couple targets and a stone point.

Thanks Knapper, Helmet and Bob and thanks for looking. I'll add some more pictures when I finish her up.

Thanks Pearl, thought you might remember this one. I didn't want to finish it until he got here and gave it a pull. Seems pretty fair tiller and he says the weight is perfect. I did take just a little off the top limb out of the fades and mid limb. Have to have him shoot it some more.
Bjrogg

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 02:46:52 pm »
Nice one, too bad you have only the fd. Would like to see more of that beauty.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 09:35:49 pm »
Thanks Simson. I'm still working on this one. I will post some more pictures when I finish her up. Just snapped this one when my cousin was shooting it.
Bjrogg

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 09:46:40 pm »
Good looking stick Bj!
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley