Author Topic: Small osage trees ready to go  (Read 4247 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Small osage trees ready to go
« on: June 26, 2017, 04:15:29 pm »
Hi.Some time ago I mentioned about my Robin was starting some osage trees in her greenhouse from seed.We were waiting for them to get some size/stiffness/and strength to send to people that might want some.There are about a dozen ready to go.All that are ready are about 6 to 8 inches tall.If anyone wants to give them a try I'll gladly send them if the reciever wants to pay the shipping.They would be sent bare root but inside moistened paper towels inside a zip lock bag wrapped in newspaper in a box.
There are more starting too but not quite big enough to send.I think state regulations are ok with this.PM me if interested.
I probably should of put this in the trading post thread.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:56:30 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Small osage trees ready to go
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:57:44 pm »
I would definitely be interested in two, and would happily pay more than the cost of shipping for getting me something I cant get myself. 

Please pm and we can arrange the details.  Thank you very much. 

Russ

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:32:23 pm »
Thanks Ed and Robin
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 01:58:36 pm »
Ed, not to butt in but bare root plants are generally shipped during the dormant season. Being sealed up in plastic in warm weather can cause fungi to multiply and adversely affect the plants.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:43:41 pm »
Yes good point.Bare roots are usually sent or gotten in dormancy too.These won't be dormant of course.I'm suggesting to get them planted immediately after recieving them letting them get started good before the winter.
RB...Your in box on your PM is full.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 06:44:53 pm »
I suppose I'd need to send them priority mail to get to their destination in a few days.Then once they arrive the person would need to either pot them to plant later or plant them outside in the ground.
BowEd
Ed

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 07:24:32 pm »
Pm is back in business.  Sorry. 

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 12:07:38 pm »
Just thinking out loud, but do you think I need, when planting these guys, that I need worry about deer eating them before they are big enough to fend for themselves?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 12:13:35 pm »
Yea deer are notorious browsers for sure.I've seen them eat the hedge balls before.Maybe a welded wire tube a couple feet tall with a welded wire top on it?
Robins' going to plant them in the raised flower bed by the house then we'll transfer them later as they get bigger.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 12:20:57 pm »
Cool gesture, Mr Ed!      :OK
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 12:25:02 pm »
K.  Will come up w something, chicken wire based, I'm sure. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 12:49:49 pm »
Deer love osage leaves.   They stand on their hind legs and eat every leaf they can get.  I would put a sturdy cage around them.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 10:32:20 pm »
So, hopefully I got the "attaching pictures" problem licked, once and for all, and I can get to posting some of the pics I owe around these parts. 

Thanks to Beadman, I got these beauties going in some pots.  Looks like 6 of the 8 are doing just fine, the other two, might just make it too, only shorter.  Dont know if they will make into the ground this fall or not, but I intend to keep you posted on their progress.    I have a friend who thinks he has just the right spot in mind for the planting.  We will have to take a hike (er, dogs for a walk) soon to scout the land. 

Russ       

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 09:16:17 am »
Looks good.I would think they could handle being in that large of a pot for quite some time.
My Robin here is a nut.She does all kinds of plants.Bonzying too yet.African violets and orchids are her favorite.
BowEd
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 10:06:05 am »
         Ed, I planted mine directly where there permanently going.  I guess I didn't know the deer like them. Maybe the deer here don't even know they like em yet. So far they look real good, we've been getting plenty of rain.
         I just made a quick trip to the post office and sent you and Robin a little appreciation package. Sorry it took me so long, been crazy busy and I just couldn't make myself send you the postage without a little something extra. Hope you both like it.
Thanks again
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise