Author Topic: Always like the first time  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Badger

Always like the first time
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:45:39 am »
     Working on a bow this morning, I have 2" to go to get to 28". I feel like a kid building my first bow. I call this the death zone. I just can't decide where to remove wood, everyplace looks perfect. I spent two hours getting the last 2'. This is what I love about buildng bows, what else can you do that you get the same thrill out of no matter how many times you do it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Always like the first time
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:53:26 am »
I can only think of one or two...  ::)   >:D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 11:56:10 am »
I get that way to, Steve. Ill have the tiller balanced and looking great, but 15-20# too heavy. Its sooo tempting to leave it be, but I know I cant draw it. So I get apprehensive about removing more wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 12:00:22 pm »
I get that way to, Steve. Ill have the tiller balanced and looking great, but 15-20# too heavy. Its sooo tempting to leave it be, but I know I cant draw it. So I get apprehensive about removing more wood.

I am always tempted to remove a little more wood close to the fades because it reacts quicker and I can finish up. I really have to force myself to avoid doing that.

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 12:46:56 pm »

This is my love/hate relationship of building bows for others.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 03:36:26 pm »
I am not a patient person, so that last two inches is a challenge to me,, lightly scrape and sand the whole thing and hope the bow gods are with me,, sometimes it takes me days to get it,, cause I get tired of patiently sanding,, (--)

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 04:50:14 pm »
I find that a rasp or a few scrapes on the fades helps get over the hump since a little movement there is magnified many times over at the tips.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 04:57:17 pm »
Yes it's fun getting to that point but it's gotta be done.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline RandyN

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 06:14:09 pm »
I usually trick myself into not hurrying the last couple inches. I place pencil marks across the full length of each limb and then remove them with a scraper or by sanding. I can see the progress by removing the lines with very little change to tiller and draw weight. You might say I sneak the final 2 inches of draw length out of the bow. And hope I hit the draw weight I want. Loads of fun.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 09:07:20 pm »
I am not a patient person, so that last two inches is a challenge to me,, lightly scrape and sand the whole thing and hope the bow gods are with me,, sometimes it takes me days to get it,, cause I get tired of patiently sanding,, (--)

+1  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 09:15:11 pm »
Yes that final ,final is not so much a challenge as the fact that it bends so even but just to heavy. If they hit between 40- 50 and not a custom I'm done. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 10:02:27 pm »
I gotta say, I'm still a bit apprehensive around the entire tillering process cause I know I can destroy a lot of good work in planning and ruin a piece of wood real quick. It's fun though and I do feel like I am just a new comer to learning it with different profiles and all.
I find that a rasp or a few scrapes on the fades helps get over the hump since a little movement there is magnified many times over at the tips.
One thing I have messed up on was getting a bow too close to weight and realizing I still had rasp tool marks to get down to and before long I was way beyond help. Probably sounds simple to many of  you but cleaning up all the tool marks off the edges and going to a scraper a little earlier in the process has been real helpful and only took me a dozen or more bow fails to figure it out  )P(

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 10:18:47 pm »
  This bow I was working on this morning was the fifth in a series of Elbs I have been building. I was going for zero set and I made it. The other 4 came out good but had just a whisper of set. I actually went 1" over just for security.

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 02:38:04 am »
I gotta say, I'm still a bit apprehensive around the entire tillering process cause I know I can destroy a lot of good work in planning and ruin a piece of wood real quick. It's fun though and I do feel like I am just a new comer to learning it with different profiles and all.
One thing I have messed up on was getting a bow too close to weight and realizing I still had rasp tool marks to get down to and before long I was way beyond help. Probably sounds simple to many of  you but cleaning up all the tool marks off the edges and going to a scraper a little earlier in the process has been real helpful and only took me a dozen or more bow fails to figure it out  )P(
Get some bastard files and some second cut files. :)

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 03:42:10 am »
Oh that feeling :BB it's a part of the process that makes us bowyer geeks do it over and over again. Feels a bit like learning a difficult trick on a skateboard and after that you just do that trick all the time ( even after 30 years, still do some I learned when I was 14 ;D )