Author Topic: Blunder fix?  (Read 2901 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Blunder fix?
« on: July 19, 2017, 07:46:33 pm »
Let's say (hypothetically of course) that someone accidentally toasted the back of an HHB bow while heat treating.  :-[ Would laying down some rawhide help to remedy the situation? The damage is limited to just beyond the fade of one limb only.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Blunder fix?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 10:14:35 pm »
well all I can say is the rawhide wont hurt it,, (-P

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:28:24 pm »
I wouldn't waste the rawhide. Use the stave to cook some brats while you plan your next bow.   (=)

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 03:10:35 am »
what color is it now?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:18:10 am »
You could sinew or flax back it take the tension off of the back ,flax is crazy strong and not effected by moister or decrown & hickory back maybe you already thought of that just some thoughts !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 07:50:30 am »
Let's say (hypothetically of course) that someone accidentally toasted the back of an HHB bow while heat treating.  :-[ Would laying down some rawhide help to remedy the situation? The damage is limited to just beyond the fade of one limb only.

A very light toasting of the back won't hurt it but if it's dark brown or worse black then you'll need to do something

I had this problem happen to me with the first HHB warbow I made, my form was too wide. The bow lasted for several years but ultimately gave up the ghost.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 07:59:40 am »
In my experience HHB and a cooked back aren't friends. I have had splinters pop on two bows that had some heat get to the back. I decided in the future when this happens I'm junking the bow and not putting more hours into it. Both bows shot several hundred arrows before they went pop.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:28:34 am »
ok like most things with bows,,,you can try to fix it,, if not toasted to bad,,, or you can cook with it,,
 (W

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 01:19:04 pm »
Thanks guys. I really think HHB has something against me. I haven't braced or drawn the bow since the blunder so I think I'll shoot it a bunch and decide what to do from there.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:21:43 pm »
yes shoot it first,, and cook with it later, ,that way you get to do both,, (-S

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:23:27 pm »
yes shoot it first,, and cook with it later, ,that way you get to do both,, (-S

lol

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 02:01:22 pm »
Even better shoot "something" with it, and then use the bow to cook that something.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 02:25:18 pm »
With all my blunder bows I could do a pig roast  (-_)
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 08:34:05 pm »
We should all set aside our blunders for the next bow gathering and have a feast fit for kings! -C-

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 09:11:13 pm »
That's gonna be one hot fire