Author Topic: does off-centre pith matter?  (Read 912 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
does off-centre pith matter?
« on: July 24, 2017, 04:15:01 pm »
I've split a short blackthorn stave down the centre to make a billet ELB. This has resulted in the pith being about 10 degrees off-centre. Is this likely to cause me any problems?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: does off-centre pith matter?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 07:08:35 pm »
As long as both limbs bend evenly and together you should be good. By flipping the billets you put the strong side opposite each other helping to  even things out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:34:02 am »
I have had quite a few and a variety of pithy staves. I don't worry about it much anymore. It seems to work itself out or in one way or another. Being mindful of it, but  not worrying about it, is my approach now. The first few weird pith staves I had, I noticed I worried way too much before even starting the bow, which led me to the way I go around it now. Pith can be finicky, I've seen it run all around, but again I've never had it bother my end result too much. If this info doesn't help, I understand. Take care.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 05:48:21 am »
I prefer to keep the pith right down center. I'm not sure its a huge deal, but I think the bow will stay aligned nicely if its still on its natural center. But, Im a finicky fella.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 09:01:12 pm »
+1 what Pearl said.....Keeping both limbs the same and on the natural centerline as best prior to tillering IMO
DBar
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:28:00 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking