Author Topic: Treadle shaving horse  (Read 2183 times)

Offline ksnow

Treadle shaving horse
« on: July 28, 2017, 12:38:35 pm »
I saw a horse of this design in an old video on YouTube of a French bowyer making and English longbow.  The, in the Dec 15 issue of PA, there was an article about them, inspired by one seen in Belgium (I think, or maybe Denmark).  So, after hemming and hawing, and tired of sweating in the upstairs loft at my more traditional shaving horse, I broke down and put one together.  It didn't take too long, once I got the leg angles and lengths right.  A 2x6, 2x4 some dowels for the legs and rope.  I used  a brace and bits to drill the holes.  I have used it a bit with a spokeshave and rasps and it is holding well so far.  I will be roughing out some elm staves this weekend, we'll see how it holds up under rough use.  It folds up nice, and the legs pull out.  It can also be set up about anywhere you can anchor the lower end.  I have the edge shoved under a 2x4 on the garage wall, or under the tire of the truck.  I am going to put a cleat of some type near the botom so I can ratchet strap it to a tree. 

Kyle

Offline CB57

• Just a guy with a thinking problem
Re: Treadle shaving horse
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 01:17:49 pm »
I like it! I have all the materials required left over from a recent remodeling project, so I may just have to build it this weekend!
Chris 🏹

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 01:23:02 pm »
The legs are perpendicular to the 2x6, and angled out about 15 degrees.  Both planks are 6 feet long, legs are roughly 34 inches.

Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 09:12:22 pm »
That's interesting.  If you made your rope holes the width of a bow limb it couldn't move side to side.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 09:50:11 pm »
Maybe even a smidge narrower with some bevels to the outsides of the holes to allow the rope to sit in so the bow can sit flat to the board while still reducin sode to side movement. I might have to built one for a more portable work platform. Especially if it's stable for coarse drawknife and rasp work.

Lyle