Author Topic: Finally got the time to shoot a bow  (Read 1129 times)

Offline hobbyaccumulator

Finally got the time to shoot a bow
« on: August 04, 2017, 08:00:17 pm »
So i've been pretty MIA since i finished roughing the riser on my first bow. I also posted a separate thread about an Internature Takedown Recurve i was gifted by my aunt - it's a 25# @28" 62" long takedown.

I finally found the time to go into a local shop and show off both my bow and my takedown. The owner helped me figure out that the twisting feeling it felt on my self bow might not be a limb problem but an non-level riser. I didn't even notice it until he pointed it out. He said it still could be a limb issue (he isn't a bowyer so he couldn't say for sure) but he did notice the riser was not level and suggested i carve out a thumb rest area for the flap between my thumb and index to rest so i am holding it consistently. He also suggested that since i was a very fresh beginner that i lay off the 43# selfbow until i get consistent shooting with the 25# takedown and i agreed.

He also took a look at my takedown and gave me some tips about how to shoot (like a mini lesson). He outfitted the riser with an arrow rest since it didn't have one and let me play with some different arrows and measured my draw length. I was very grateful to him and decided i'd purchase some arrows directly from him instead of deal-hunting online since he took the time to help me out. I got a half-dozen Easton XX75 Tribute size 1816 (30", 9.3 gr/in, 0.756 spine) for 40 bucks and then i rented a lane for an hour and shot the recurveuntil my hands hurt.

So it turns out shooting a bow is damn hard.

I was shooting at a 10 yard target and holy hell was it hard to aim consistently. I had no idea you had to aim so low! And then he said that when the target is further out you actually don't have to aim as low because it raises and then has time to lower! So much i didn't know about archery.... (keep in mind the last time i shot a bow was over 10 years ago and i was 11 and only shot a few times with my aunt and no professional guidance).

Anyway it was very fun and I look forward to shooting some more. Turns out there is a free range only 20 mintues from me which also has a free "shooting course" (think golf course but for archery). They just take donations! I can't wait to try that out.

The shop owner also recommended i get some wooden arrows with feathers instead of veins for my selfbow since they will bend around the bow more than aluminum or carbon. So i suppose i should get on some arrow making (or find some cheap wooden arrows). How do you mount the arrow heads (either target point or broadhead when i eventually want to try hunting) on wooden arrows since you cannot just screw them in?

Archery is fun. I think this may be a lifelong hobby :)

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Finally got the time to shoot a bow
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 08:14:45 pm »
You get glue on heads instead of screw in heads. Sounds like your getting it figured out. Get/ make some wooden arrows for sure. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Finally got the time to shoot a bow
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 11:02:39 am »
The bug has bit!  Archery is a sport/hobby you come back to! Or never really leave  >:D  A real advantage to glue on points is the ability to heat them and switch in broad heads or other points.
Welcome to the addicted!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry