Author Topic: a good axe for roughing out staves?  (Read 638 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Re: a good axe for roughing out staves?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 02:31:43 pm »
I've got the small fisksrs x5 and I think its great for the purpose. It's got and holds a good edge and its so light it affords really goog control. I'm sure ill upgrade at some point but it does the biz for me! 😊
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 08:40:52 pm »
RD,
My bad! Or OPPs!  My England geography is a bit lacking - except for brewery's and pubs!! >:D. Where is Berkshire from the White Horse Vale?  I owe you a pint!
I will be looking for the "old steel". Here in the states, it is a bit of a challenge! and a bit pricey!  As in my pre '64 Winchester being 8 -10 times more than the original cost.  Any way, use what works for you and stats sharp!
Hawkdancer

Offline Morgan

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 08:54:38 pm »
I use a half hatchet. I believe it is a Vaughn brand. I like the profile of it a lot better than most hatchets as it is more blade like than wedge. I brought the bevel back with a file so it takes a deeper bite, took maybe half an hour to do. I sharpen it with a mill bastard file and it holds its edge for a very long time. I think I gave $20 for it and would get another in a heartbeat if something happened to the one I have.