Author Topic: Old Bow Build  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Old Bow Build
« on: September 29, 2017, 06:49:06 am »
I don't know how many have seen this but this was posted on the internet many years ago, I think it was from an old Popular Mechanics article on how to build a bow.  I thought it was interesting enough that I saved the pages as images.

I have no idea why the pictures are so small here.  If you go to my imgur folder you can actually read what it says.  The article is of a take-down build.  Don't ask what boam is as nobody could ever figure it out
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Old Bow Build
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 06:57:30 am »
Interesting old article Marc, thanks for sharing. I see where the preferred woods are osage orange and boam--not sure what boam is.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:05:26 am »
Always interesting looking at old popular mechanics magazines. We should have all been flying to work in our hovercars decades ago. When I was at Marshall this past summer Bruce showed me a crossbow that their 4-H kids built. I believe he said they got the plans from a old popular mechanics magazine.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:08:49 am »
After doing a little research I see where the question about boam had come up earlier (see June, 2014 post in PA). I wonder if it could be hornbeam?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:36:55 am »
There was a set of Popular Mechanics encyclopedias that had the same bow making instructions in one chapter. As a kid in the 50s I remember we had the set in my  house.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:19:31 am »
Wow, that is a neat article.  I have a few lemonwood blanks in the shop, maybe I will have to use this as inspiration.  That case at the end is awesome.

Thank you for posting this.

Kyle

Offline Hans H

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 10:31:47 am »
thanks for sharing this Marc
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 11:44:08 am »
That's quite a draw knife! I remember these Popular Mechanics articles from when I was a kid. They always had tools that I had never seen. In this one they used a band saw, milling machine and metal lathe. Their motto seemed to be,"What's the most expensive way we can do this." ;D ;D ;D

Offline ksnow

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 11:48:27 am »
That's quite a draw knife! I remember these Popular Mechanics articles from when I was a kid. They always had tools that I had never seen. In this one they used a band saw, milling machine and metal lathe. Their motto seemed to be,"What's the most expensive way we can do this." ;D ;D ;D

That motto has not changed much in some circles.  Modern woodworking magazines and shows all have a dizzying variety of tools, most singular in purpose and very expensive.  And yes, that drawknife is massive.

Kyle

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 12:16:27 pm »
Neat article.  Posted it to my favorites.  Don't have a big bandsaw, got to put a new blade on the tiny one, and it is probably too small to handle a stave, I prefer hand tools anyway, that's what I learned with, at least for fine and/or finish type work.  Sanding and grinding are a different matter, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:55:36 pm »
cool article, I enjoyed reading it :) Thanks for sharing Marc!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 06:49:48 pm »
You are all welcome.  I posted another one in the flightbow forum
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 07:49:24 pm »
WAAAYYYYYY back when I was kid, Dad made me a target as Christmas present.
He musta got his mitts on this article because it was made very close to the one detailed here!
When interest in bows was replaced by interest in girls, Dad incorporated legs into a piece of furniture he made for my sister. Use it or lose it . . . . . .
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:59:28 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 11:47:44 pm »
Very interesting!  Never heard of "boam " as a tree, or hop horn beam, for that matter!  Apparently they are the same according to what I see.   Baum(boam) is an Frisian/proto-Eoropen worm for beam, everything else is a w.a.g., but it makes some sense, as hhb, is native to the eastern US, as far west as Wyoming and north into Manitoba, Canada.  Probably saw them back in Missouri and Kansas and caled them something else.  Now, to find some in Colorado :BB!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline neuse

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 05:41:12 am »
I think it is cool that so many pictures from that era show people in white shirts and ties doing shop work.