Author Topic: View from the stand 2017  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: View from the stand 2017
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 05:06:42 am »
Yesterday evening, I was in a lock on overlooking a green plot I planted. I have a perfect tree for my stand that grew behind a big hackberry tree that provides cover and makes me invisible to deer.

To my front;

The only way into the field from my left is a road through a double gate that I bush hogged and cleaned up so the deer would use it. The main field is about 50 acres of grown up pasture that the owner let go.

Two does came out of the grown up field at dusk and fed at about 30 yards and across the plot, a swirling wind gave them a whiff of me and off they went.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 09:12:29 am »
yes that swirling wind is the deer friend,,,, nice stand, you will get one there for sure

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2017, 04:57:45 pm »
I hunted the stand overlooking a white oak that was dropping acorns like rain this evening, got blown out 4 times with deer either coming in down wind or crossing where I walked in. A big doe came in up wind and fed around at about 10 yards, I passed on a perfect shot opportunity, wide open broadside. I didn't bring my four wheeler (back surgery made long uphill deer drags impossible) and the way she was facing she would be off the ridge top into the thick bottom field if I put an arrow into her. The truth is, I didn't want to fool with a deer and wanted to see if big boy might come in for dinner. She finally looked up, saw me, and left.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 04:04:00 am »
yes that swirling wind is the deer friend,,,, nice stand, you will get one there for sure
Sure got that right Brad.
Nice spot Eric. Those smart does are real trouble makers. They just seem like they have a sixth sense and even if they don't see or smell you they still jump or run at every noise or thing they don't "like". I had my wife drop me off at my favorite stand last night. The deer are less threatened by my pickup than me walking in. When I got out I had a coffee can full of corn I hand shelled I spread out on the ground. There was a garden squash in my truck and I tossed it out in the field. Big mistake, they might get use to it but every animal that came by started to nibble at the corn. Then immediately saw the squash. They all did the same thing. They quick ran a little ways away. Then they cautiously approached the dangerous squash. They would get about three feet from it neck stretched out. Nose and eyes concentrating on  the very scary squash until the fear built up inside them and they turned and ran away not to return. One of the animals was as they say on all the outdoor shows a "Shooter Buck".  He was at about 17 yards quartering towards me. I just never got him to turn before he saw the terrible squash. Pretty sure if the squash wasn't there he would have hung around long enough to give me the shot I was looking for.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:03:38 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 05:59:22 am »
I think the only place I've hunted where the wind didn't swirl was in the mountains of Colorado. In the sun, the air went up, in the shade, down. Even in these mountains here where I live the wind goes where it wants and changes directions at the least appropriate time.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2017, 06:22:24 am »
That darn wind....I keep my hunting clothes in a plastic barrel with fresh cut golden rod and other plants growing here for a cover scent.I dress up and give it the Robin test sniff.Seems to work most times but not always.
Beadman
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed