Author Topic: Thermacell  (Read 4068 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Thermacell
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:44:56 pm »
Does anyone refill their thermacell butane cartridges or pads?  I've been watching youtube videos on how to do it.  I tried it on a fuel cartridge tonight and it worked.  I had to sand down the tip of the refill nozzle and use a rubber band as a gasket.  It will be a lot cheaper to refill them instead of buying new.  I will start saving the old pads and soak them with the repellant. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Thermacell
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:43:17 pm »
My friends in the club in GA I occasionally go to told me a few weeks ago that they do refill their Thermocell fuel canisters with butane used for cigarette lighters. I think.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:19:36 am »
Did you drill out the check valve?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:05:20 am »
Sounds like a good thing, I just use them enough to make it worthwhile. Haven’t turned one on this year. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:08:30 am »
I didn't drill out the check valve.  I used knocking pliers to pull that brass nipple out.  Then I screwed a drywall screw into the one way check valve that's under the brass nipple a few turns.  It pulled right out.  I replaced the nipple with some superglue around it.  It took me a while to get a good fit with the refill nozzle.  It was to big.  I had to sand it down to get it to fit. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:41:17 am »
Yea, we've been doing it since they came out. We just pulled the brass off, drilled the plastic a little bigger. Then cut a round piece of leather to put on the Butane refill bottle nozzle for filling lighters. With the leather it will spray to the side and not in your face when refueling. And we take the big bottles of yard mosquito spray and soak the pads in them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 11:52:09 am »
Real neat idea!  Hopefully, I won't have to use it 'til next year, we got a hard freeze headed our way!
I still have to get familiar with the equipment, and learn how to use it.  Thanks for the post.Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 02:12:27 pm »
I believe the original pads have citronella on them. Be careful what you reload them with and I wouldn't suggest getting a whiff of vaporized deet in your lungs. Ill pay the little extra cash for refills and feel better about it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 05:04:13 pm »
It's not citronella.   You reload the pads with an insect repellent for livestock.  It's permethrin 10%.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 07:59:16 pm »
That's whats in Permanone tick repellent/killer spray for your cloths.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 09:53:52 pm »
And you can buy the pemethren and permanone at Tractor Supply, concentrated. We use it hunting through our winter season , anywhere from 20 degrees one day till 75-80 that afternoon. A freeze does not kill mosquitos, they have a butt load of them in Maine and Alaska.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 07:16:41 am »
Just need the patent to run out so they cant corner the market. Once more mfg'ers start making them it will drop 50% and the fight will be on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 07:28:43 am »
I have heard that women's  butane hair curlers use the same cartridge as a thermacell at a fraction of the cost.

After reading this thread I took my old thermacell with me on my first deer hunt of the year, after it got hot I had "0" mosquitoes pestering me.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 08:10:07 am »
They do fit Eric.  I ordered a 2 pack last week.  Still not as cheap as refilling them. 

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 08:30:07 am »
I have heard that women's  butane hair curlers use the same cartridge as a thermacell at a fraction of the cost.

After reading this thread I took my old thermacell with me on my first deer hunt of the year, after it got hot I had "0" mosquitoes pestering me.

Yes but how many Deer did you see  :-D
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com