Author Topic: Hearing set  (Read 4751 times)

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Hearing set
« on: October 10, 2017, 05:05:23 pm »
The bow was the first lyre, no?

So when you brace a bow, you can hear the tune of the string before drawing the bow.
Typically, after a few shots or draws, you hear the tune has dropped a bit, representing a reduction in tension on the string because the wood is not pushing back as much anymore. In other words, set. Even bows which hardly show set get tuned down a bit, typically a half to a full note.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone listen to the bow to measure set?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:46:53 am by joachimM »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Hearing set
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 05:42:32 pm »
The bow was the first lyre, no?

So when you brace a bow, you can hear the tune of the string before drawing the bow.
Typically, after a few shots or draws, you hear the tune has dropped a bit, representing a reduction in tension on the string because the wood is not pushing back as much anymore. In other words, set. Even bows which hardly show set get tuned down a bit, typically a half to a full note.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone listens to the bow to measure set?

All the time
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 06:24:15 pm »
yes but I find if the pitch of the bow goes down after drawing the bow,,,, it is because too much moisture in the stave,, but you could be right about the set too,,

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:48:51 pm »
Never thought of that, but it does make sense (of hearing  :laugh: no pun intended). Thanks for a cool new idea!  8)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 07:12:09 pm »
I'm just making a string. I'll see if I can hear a difference as it stretches.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 07:29:34 pm »
 Fastflite will bring everything up an octave. ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:01:42 pm »
I'm just making a string. I'll see if I can hear a difference as it stretches.

Nope, by the time it had stretched the brace height down 1/4" I had forgotten the tune. ;D

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 09:55:05 pm »
Wow. Never thought of that. Is it possible for the limbs to give less tension after flexing them multiple times thereby changing the tune,  but not produce measurable set?

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 07:08:30 am »
Yes I do it al the time, listening and feeling the string tension at brace. (It has even become a habit of doing it after every 10 arrows or so) I notice that my best bows don't show any change in pitch after shooting a while. Those are also the bows who pop back to their rest profiles immediately after unstringing.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 11:10:02 am »
  I would bet most all the experienced guys here do even if they are not conciously aware of it. I don't listen to it as much as just sense the tension

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 04:11:21 am »
I feel the tension for sure but can barley here someone talk anymore ,so no don't listen to the note it is giving off  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gfugal

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 09:20:37 pm »
I'm going to use this method to measure the drying of the sinew. As it dries and shrinks it will reduce the tension in the string during reverse brace, thus pitch will reduce with time.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 10:08:05 pm »
   This gave me an idea, I have one of those little electronic tuners that I use for making xylophone keys and tuning them. I bet if I checked the note on a freshly braced bow and then rechecked it after every full draw until it leveled off I might be able to select bows better to carry to the flight shoots.

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 12:53:44 am »
Badger, if you have one of those tuners already, you could see if you can hear the string tension change when you are no-set tillering. your benchmark could also be a note. Let us know if you can hear set approaching before you see the poundage drop.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 10:52:21 am »
   This gave me an idea, I have one of those little electronic tuners that I use for making xylophone keys and tuning them. I bet if I checked the note on a freshly braced bow and then rechecked it after every full draw until it leveled off I might be able to select bows better to carry to the flight shoots.

That sounds like an idea for all of us. Now us tone deaf people will have a shot. It also gives you something you can write down.