Author Topic: Sinewing a snakey bow  (Read 4108 times)

Offline DC

Sinewing a snakey bow
« on: October 14, 2017, 12:16:43 pm »
I'm thinking of sinewing this bow. Is there any possibility that the sinew may pull off the dips and wobbles? It's a Yew branch, 64"TTT. I'm looking for a dependable 40#@27"

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Sinewing a snakey bow
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:29:09 pm »
Good luck with that one
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 12:34:23 pm »
It was a short branch so the hooks are "V" jointed on. I might(probably) reduce them. I made them big just to cover any possibility.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 03:54:28 pm »
As I've been learning lately, string alignment is a B sometimes.
I suppose it could pull off the dips but I'm really wondering why sinew?
It's enough I would think for that draw and weight. I'm working on my first yew now and I think I am getting a tree monkey on my back.

I have also wondered about the effectiveness of sinew going through lateral curves that radical. Not sure but I think it may diminish it's effect of stretch since it is not stretching straight, but sideways. Hope that makes sense.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 04:08:35 pm »
Those are all the things that are going through my mind. I'm looking for a couple of experienced guys to say, "Yeh, no problem." I'm not sure if I will sinew it. It depends on the weight once I get a little deeper into the tillering. If it looks like I can reach my goal without sinew, I'll leave it. I'm just getting temp nocks on it now.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 04:16:49 pm »
Would rawhide be a better option?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 04:32:37 pm »
I would wrap it in the dips while drying,,
bow string or somethig,,
if you have to tiller more ok,, but wrap it again,,when finished,,
if you get it shooting well,, I wouldnt go to crazy trying to make it look perfect,,
if the unbraced profile is staying and not taking set ,, just shoot it and enjoy,,
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:35:50 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 06:14:48 pm »
Thanks Brad. There is no way this is ever going to look perfect, even if it was. I'm steaming it for a little string alignment so I'm going to try and take a little of the deflex out of the left limb.

OO I'm only going to back it if it's underweight. I don't have any thin rawhide and I've never used it. Rawhide only adds security, I believe, and if it breaks it breaks. The back is sound. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 06:33:44 pm »
i think it will make a bow, and sinew sure wouldnt hurt it,, especially a thin layer,,

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 02:20:24 am »
It is a waste of time sinewing that and yes you would run into problems with the sinew lifting.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 02:58:46 am »
If you really think it need some kind of backing, I would put down some silk and then cover the silk with snake or fish skins. Snake would look really nice with those bends.
How much heart wood you have left on that thing?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 12:17:26 pm »
If you really think it need some kind of backing, I would put down some silk and then cover the silk with snake or fish skins. Snake would look really nice with those bends.
How much heart wood you have left on that thing?
It's a branch so the sapwood is only about 1/8" thick. It's mostly heartwood.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 12:44:35 pm »
I have sinewed some pretty snakey curves,, and it was not a waste of time,,
and I guess that would vary from bow to bow,,,
in my opinion,, on lateral curves that tend to seperate at full draw,, the sinew adds stability to them,, making the bow a bit more likey to stay a bow,,, if it was my bow,,, I would tiller to half draw,, then put the sinew on before going to full draw,, I would wrap the sinew in areas that were likely to lift,,,, then I would shoot the bow as is with no additional tillering,,,unless I re wrapped after taking off wood,,,

looking at the bow ,,, I am just spit balling that the weight may be less than you want,, and the sinew would bring that up a bit,, or you could pull it to full draw with no backing,, and if it works you are good to go,,,:) 

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 01:08:13 pm »
It's a very bendy piece of Yew that's why I am considering sinew. I've had it braced and it looked like if I was really careful I may make the weight. When I was steaming the string alignment I reflexed the left limb so that will help me as long as it doesn't pull out. I got to thinking about when I harvested it and that was in April so that's only about 7 months. It's been in the warm box for about 3 months and hasn't lost any weight for a few weeks but maybe it's still a little damp. I'll weigh it and leave it be for a while just to double check. I've got other bows to work on.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 04:55:13 pm »
WoW! What a stave, I'm really looking forward to see how this one turns out.