Author Topic: BL with no thorns still BL?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Lip

BL with no thorns still BL?
« on: October 23, 2017, 05:41:20 am »
Hello!
Longtime lurker from Minnesota here.
They're cutting down 20-30 what I think is Black Locust a few blocks over but before I pick some up I want to make sure it's actually BL. the leaves and bark seems to match but there are no thorns where the compound leaves attach to the branch. What do you guys think?

https://imgur.com/a/4VBT4

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Re: BL with no thorns still BL?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:50:29 am »
there is a thornless cultivar of BL (cv inermis), typically planted along lanes and streets, but doesn't grow very tall. It could be these trees are like that. Looking good from the pics. Go for it.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:43:34 am »
From what I have read black locust may have few to none. Honey Locust can have clusters of thorns.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:39:09 am »
Hey Lip,
I'm in Minnesota. what part are you at?
I have seen BL here and it seems like the saplings have some thorns but the bigger ones I saw had a lot less and I wasn't sure cause I was expecting lots of thorns.
Quite a bit of bugs in the big trees while standing where I was at (Carlos Avery Preserve by permission) and didn't realize til I got home. I'm going for medium diameter next time but I do have one sapling with bark removed in the rafters I'll give a shot sometime.
BL is considered an invasive species here so you can get a one day pass at a preserve of state forest to cut it out.

Offline Lip

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:18:02 am »
That’s pretty good news! I just wanted to be sure, got a newborn so I don’t have to much time these days.

Dubois
I’m in the TC. I didn’t know you could get a permit to cut trees in MN. I’ve been thinking about calling the county and state about cutting buckthorn. How much is a permit and how many trees can you harvest?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 12:05:51 am »
It cost me nothing,
 went to the carlos avery wildlife management area and asked the ranger if I could cut some bow wood. He was real interested and when I mentioned BL he told me they were trying to clear a bunch out soon anyway and wrote me a day permit to cut BL.
There's tons of buckthorn everywhere around here in the undergrowth.  cut some 2 blocks away in a overgrown corner lot and nobody seemed to care.
I'm up here in Blaine. Come on over if you're not too far.
Marco

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:25:22 pm »
Duh!  Where are Blaine and the TC from Walker/Leech Lake?  I know where Walker is!  Been to Camp(Ft Ripley, Little Falls area.  Geography lesson, please!  Not to mention trade possibilities!  Don't have a MN road map!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry