Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Swamp Thang

Tiller check
« on: November 05, 2017, 03:28:48 pm »
Working on a D bow going for the highest weight this bow will allow with hopefully less the 1/2 set when I'm done. Need a push on where to take meat from I feel like mid to outer limbs???

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 03:34:19 pm »
Looks like its only bending in the handle.  Your going to have to take wood off everywhere else until the handle is not bending.  Then work it into full draw not allowing the handle to bend until the last couple of inches of draw length. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:28:36 am »
 Thanks!!! Been taking off on the tips like you suggested post a progress soon.....leave it to me to tiller it backwards

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 02:52:55 pm »
Hopefully I made it better and not worse.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 09:47:01 pm »
Definitely better. That big blue circle is telling you what to do there. I like that. I’ve seen line drawn elipses (?) and circles on bows showing tiller, but that solid one takes all the looking out of it. Suppose a person could cut a half circle from cardboard that is the right diameter to hold up to the bow on the tree for quick reference?

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 10:17:27 pm »
Lol I still don't have a tiller tree but that's a good idea

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 10:22:40 pm »
your tips look really bulky and thick to me. Can you taper them down any?  that will really help your performance.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:04 pm »
Also it is 59" long 1.75" wide pulls 32# @ 21.5" with .5" set looking to add sinew have three large white tail legs and two short legs how many should I save up before I start to back it looking at 2-3 layers to add a few pounds

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 10:28:06 pm »
That's the direction I'm going. I'll try to finish them tomorrow after my Drs app.

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 11:00:49 pm »
holding up a cd at arms length works for comparing curves. what is the bow made from? like lebhuntfish says, the handle will start bending more at the end of the draw

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 01:35:01 am »
the problem is you want the tiller to be a little elliptical. Get mid limb to the tips working more and leave the centre alone.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 01:45:30 am »
Learning to bend it on the floor will take out a lot time and frustration!I like to get my outer limbs moving and work towards the handle and think of it like a spring with even bend on the way on.i don't use a tree,just floor tiller to a somewhat low brace,let your eyes and feel do the tillering.this will be a great tool in your box when building bows with a good bit of reflex!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 05:40:04 am »
(Bush boy) that's what I've been doing, glad to hear it will come in handy one day and yeah I did it way backwards lol

(Mike) Working on it I tillered the whole damn thing opposite  ::)     haha well I'll know on the next one.

(Willie) Don't have a tree just a tillering stick lol it's seriously a crepe. Myrtle stick with on side shaved for my numbers
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:45:31 am by Swamp Thang »