Author Topic: Wych elm 72"  (Read 8628 times)

Offline JNystrom

Wych elm 72"
« on: November 16, 2017, 03:50:08 pm »
Here goes a second try of my buildalongs. I have previously made a 74" 105# @30" bow out of wych elm, so i feel quite a lot more comfortable with this than that rowan.

It was a quite struggle to get it braced (you are not alone FilipT), cause i noticed i have lesson or two to learn about horn nocks and strings... Anyway, its 72" (182cm) long ntn, 41mm wide, 27mm deep in the handle. It holds 4cm of reflex and i am tempted to pull it to 30" at 120 pounds or so, hopefully. The width is very forgiving, but still 30" of draw is plenty from 72" bow, atleast for me.

Now it pulls 80# at 16" with 5 3/4" brace, so i decided to have a break, take pictures, draw all kinds of circles and over analyze like hell. :D
Seriously though, i might like some help with the tiller. My eyes see that the right limb is a bit too strong from mid to out.

Offline FilipT

Re: Wych elm 72"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 03:11:55 am »
This is a funny coincidence as its very similar to my bow. I haven't posted pictures of it on the tree but the mine has right limb almost the same as your left limb. Also, its 38 x 28 in cross section, similar to yours and its 70" nock to nock. This bow might be slightly older brother of mine.

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 12:34:45 pm »
Heh, it might be. Is it wych elm too?

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 04:00:25 pm »
I got it tillered to 112# @25". When i was taking the picture, a small splinter popped from the left limb, about 40cm from the nock. It might have been bending a little bit too much there. Anyway, it was a tiny one, and started from violated small knot. It's now glued and wrapped.
I'm thinking here, should I toast it now? Perhaps it's the best next move.
It haven't taken significant set, only 2~ cm! I made some heat corrections for the stave, so might be only that pulling out naturally.

Give me tips about the tiller, please! The tips are slightly stiff, but it might be good thing... I've noticed i sometimes make them bend too much.

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:20:01 pm »
Looks good I would take a little off mid limb  out to just before the tips on the right limb and  on the left  take just  a little off mid limb  and a little toward the handle   and keep checking the tiller , slow and steady wins the day,  don't worry about toasting if its not taking any set. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:26:51 pm by Bob W. »

Offline FilipT

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 02:59:04 am »
Heh, it might be. Is it wych elm too?

No, haven't you seen that its hazel? Otherwise they are very similar. I will continue today with tillering as these past few days haven't got time.

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 05:34:31 pm »
Thanks Bob, those corrections make sense! I think i will tiller it up to 27-28" lowering the weight to 110, then toast the belly, and finish to 30".

FilipT: Oh i didn't get you meant the bow on the works! You should post some pictures, so we could see!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 10:43:25 pm »
Slightly off the main topic, but I am not familiar with the term wich.  Is the emphasis on the Y, as wYch elm, the I as in candle wIck, Or as in witch, or wick?  As an adjective, what does it mean?  This is my learn something new every day.  Thanks, Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline FilipT

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 01:38:03 am »
I think you pronounce it like "witch" but I am not sure.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 07:33:24 am »
It is wych elm - Ulmus glabra. It is also known as Scotch Elm/Scots Elm. It is the only true native British Elm. Fortunately there is loads around here but most places it is hard to find after Dutch Elm disease.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 07:35:35 am »
Mid to outer on the right limb needs to work more. Don't touch near the handle until it is coming round more. Left limb is stiff next to the handle, watch the bit just past the stiff area and again more bend in the mid to outer. That wiggle will be a pain. Check thickness taper through it.

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 05:04:39 pm »
I tillered it now to 115# @29", taking account all of your recommendations about the tiller. It looks lot better now, even though the tips are maybe slightly stiff. I don't have pics now, since its just hard to hold a phone for picture at the same time when you are pulling to full draw with one hand... I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

It took about 4cm set from the beginning, so i decided to toast the belly a little (only 25min). I was a bit hesitant, cause it splinter from the knot. The bow has quite thing rings also. What are your opinions about tempering thing ringed wych elm? Mike, Will, Del, Bob?
Will it go kaboom when i pull it next time?

It weight's 28,5oz, 810 grams.

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 01:59:37 pm »
Well this one didn't go as planned either. There was the one splinter from pin knot, then another and then another. Just horrible stave. I counted 22 pin knots in the back. I've been that lucky that i never have ran on these before. But the bow sitting at 4cm of set, i have no idea what i could have done better. Its plenty wide.

I'm gonna pick a clean stave for the next project. Maybe it will be a proper therapy-stave after two broken ones.  :BB

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 03:19:00 pm »
Save it. Decrown it flattening the back until all traces of splinters are gone. Flatten it evenly.  Correct the tiller by tillering the back as well, this should ensure the back has been removed evenly. The weight will drop alot. You should be able to draw it without splinters now. If its too light, sinew back it. If you prefere, you can also grind the back flat and smooth as a board, and glue hickory or bamboo, or more elm on the back.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 01:55:59 pm »
I wouldn't sinew it, that's a waste of sinew for a bow whose back will hardly ever be strained to more than 1% (sinew easily takes 4-5%).
I agree about decrowning though, but use flax or sisal for the back. I'd use sisal, since it's more like wood and stretches more easily than flax.

Still, if you have enough wood at your disposition, you'd be faster off to build a new bow than to salvage this.