Author Topic: Paddlefish skin?  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Morgan

Paddlefish skin?
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:11:28 am »
Has anyone on here used paddlefish aka spoonbill skin for bow backing? These fish get plenty big to get a couple bows worth out of a nice one. Skin is thick and has lots of interwoven sinew like fibers right under the flesh. I would think it would work equal to deer rawhide and may have some performance aspects to it as well.  I usually steak the meat and cut the skin off the steaks, but intend on skinning and fleshing the next one I catch to try unless someone has had bad luck with it.

Offline bluegill68

Re: Paddlefish skin?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:01:34 am »
Morgan,

I have used it after I held a bow by Tim Ott (TIMO) that had it as a backing.  It serves similar to rawhide but I didn't feel like there was any performance added. The skin is very tough but plain when it dries.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:03:44 pm »
Works well, pretty much like catfish.wash it well with dawn dish soap..as said it is pretty plain looking.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 05:52:27 pm »
Spoonbill is some of the best fish I've ever ate.   I would be interested in a paddle to use as an atlatl if you want to trade one sometime.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:32:05 am »
Spoonbill is some of the best fish I've ever ate.   I would be interested in a paddle to use as an atlatl if you want to trade one sometime.
I agree, if the meat is cleaned right it is really good. I’ll be happy to give you a paddle next spring. I don’t know how good it will work, there is a web of thick cartilage that they are made of, not sure how you would clean it up to preserve it. More than willing to package one or more however you want them and send them your way though.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 10:18:41 am »
I'll give one a try and see how it works.  I thought it would be light weight and maybe have some spring to it when thrown. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 08:22:54 pm »
You know we are all gonna wanna see it when you build it, Clint! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.