Author Topic: wrap or no wrap  (Read 3481 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

wrap or no wrap
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:28:17 pm »
Just wondering your personal opinion. I usually wrap a handle, but I'm having second thoughts about this one. It doesn't bend, believe it or not, and it fits so nice in the hand as is. It does look a little naked though...

What do you think?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

Re: wrap or no wrap
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:14:39 pm »
I wrap mine almost always.   Every now and then I'll make one that needs to be left naked to show off the curves  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:35:32 am »
I personally like mine naked. I think I've only wrapped one. So my vote is unwrapped.👍
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 06:43:13 am »
Unless it is shaped in a way to hold my hand solidly, it gets leather. Get your hands wet and latch unto that grip. I bet it slides all 0ver like a greased pig.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:17:15 am »
I've always wrapped handles. I build all my bows to be hunting bows and a slick handle could slip at the most inappropriate time. There are many choices for wraps from leather to caning to cordage. Pick one that fits the look of the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:24:04 am »
For a hunting bow, looks dont matter. Function does. I wrap mine with cordage because it helps keep my hand grip warm in the cold.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:40:11 am »
I need to take a "junker" off the rack and try my hand at stippling. I think stippling or checkering not only would work just fine, but look great.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 07:55:50 am »
Jeff....Handles are a personal thing.It's a stick and looks cool looking like one.Whatever suits you is fine with me.The bow looks great with all the wiggles in it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:14:51 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 10:17:48 am »
Unless it is shaped in a way to hold my hand solidly, it gets leather. Get your hands wet and latch unto that grip. I bet it slides all 0ver like a greased pig.

I shape my handles so my pressure point is where my thumb and index finger meet. I can shoot my bow making a ok sign. When I draw it I wouldn't even have to wrap my fingers around handle but I do to keep it from falling out after shot. With bare hands I've never felt a grip problem but it could be a problem with gloves although I've shot a fair amount practicing with them to. Guess I agree with Ed. I think handles are a personal thing and when I make someone a bow I always let them test fit it and see what they like.
Bjrogg
PS once again though I could be the odd duck.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 11:14:20 am »
On Yew bows I usually leave them naked cause the wood looks so cool. My main use for a covering has been to hide a splice I'm not proud off. If I get a good glue line on a splice I leave it naked to show off the splice. On my last bow I used a suede wrap and found that I really liked it so I may do that more often. Yours does look a bit too naked for some reason. Maybe just a thread wrap at the top and bottom of the handle area would help. Sometimes a bikini is sexier than stark nekid.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 12:41:41 pm »
This is interesting.  :D Greased pigs, bikinis...  :laugh:

You're right about it being a personal affair Ed. I guess I'm still figuring out what I like. Clint got me to see the value in having a nice groove at that spot where the thumb meets the index, like Don is saying.

I agree with you DC that this one might look sexier with a little thread wrap. Thanks for confirming that for me.  ;)

P.S. Your handles are always easy on the eyes BJ, I'm going back to look more closely at some of your bows.  (-S
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 01:08:41 pm »
A Strunk style wrap without the leather looks good and works good.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 04:58:56 pm »

Yes, and it has that bikini/thong look for sure  :OK

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 05:48:51 pm »

Yes, and it has that bikini/thong look for sure  :OK

Alway nice to leave a little bit to the imagination 👍
Bjrogg

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 07:22:41 am »
 I like a self bow with a leather grip as it helps with slipping and it allows me to add a rest.  Don't think I could shoot off my knuckle.

I have been shooting a bow for 60 years and have close to 50 bows in the basement and most factory bows do not have a leather wrap.  When I use one of them I take electrical tape and wrap the handle with the tape backwards (sticky side out) so I can grip it with out the bow twisting in my hand.  I hunt with either one of my self bows when using stone heads or a 69 Kodiak Hunter. When using the K.H. I wrap the handle as described with tape as I always wear gloves when I hunt and the bow can really slip around.

Obviously it is a personal choice but since you asked, I would wrap the handle and put a rest on it.

Great looking bow, nice job.