Author Topic: ash length  (Read 2104 times)

Offline blafleur

ash length
« on: November 25, 2017, 07:50:16 am »
I'm new to the bowyer world, but have made 2 self bows of ash.  First became kindling, second is usable. Have one more ash stave that I wanted to make into a bow for the friend that let me cut down the tree.  The stave is 64", which I'm guessing is on the short end for a self bow.  Not opposed to taking a stab at sinew backing if I need to.  What would be my best design on this length?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: ash length
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 08:03:39 am »
What is your draw length and what weight do you want? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 08:06:37 am »
It all depends on your poundage & and draw length requirements.Many go with a D/R design to reduce stress on the inner limbs for such a length for a self bow.I've never sinewed ash or even made a bow from ash yet but I'm sure it would work well too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline blafleur

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 08:09:27 am »
Gonna have to guess at the draw length.  I have a 27" with primitive equipment, and he's a little taller than me, so 28 would probably be close.  Weight in the 50# region.

What does the deflex in a R/D do for a bow?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 09:42:11 am »
It all depends on your poundage & and draw length requirements.Many go with a D/R design to reduce stress on the inner limbs for such a length for a self bow.I've never sinewed ash or even made a bow from ash yet but I'm sure it would work well too.
As stated blafleur...The limbs are bent downward already at rest to relieve the stress there at full draw.A higher brace can be gotten from these style bows also.
BowEd
Ed

Offline blafleur

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 11:02:22 am »
At what point is the best time to introduce the deflex?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 04:14:18 pm »
Right from the get go right after floor tlllering and before string and tree tillering.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 04:48:06 pm »
If you want to actually deflex the handle of a stave the time to do that is before you really do anything to the limbs.  Narrow the middle and minimize the thickness and steam it. Far easier to bend it if it is the only part that can actually bend at all.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 07:58:24 pm »
The D/R stiff handle design is one option with a stiff handle.Making a bendy handle type bow will work too actually with less trouble of heat bending wood and getting a little more working limb in the process.
BowEd
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 08:26:44 pm »
It is short for a 28" draw. You could make a bend in the handle bow with the widest part being the handle. 1 3/8" wide should do it for 45#. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!