Author Topic: Back of the Neck What the Heck  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Zuma

Back of the Neck What the Heck
« on: November 28, 2017, 05:26:39 pm »
Holy Moly, :o
This is sort of a continuation of two threads.
I am lazy and always lookin for short cuts and potential
improvements. But I am cheap too. Retired on SS with no
income from my X wives. Yeah, I know!  ;D
Anyway, in one of the other threads I said I would try pressure 
washing the hair side of a deer hide that didn't have the benefit
of an ash bath. It took more time than it did with the ash bath
but it was because I had to remove the epidermis as well to get
the hair. I was doing ok until I met the neck area. ???
A total brick wall. Nothing would budge. More resistant at the spine
and a wee bit better towards the edges until the pressure just couldn't
cut it anymore. Photo shows end of the road even with my crude scraper.
Zuma
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:30:45 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Back of the Neck What the Heck
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:58:40 pm »
Don, throw your hide back in some warm water for 3 days if warm 6 days if cold, The hair will eventually slip but you still got to remove the grain with your scraper, necks are notoriously just plain tuff. Buck-up Buttercup ;D ;D ;D :o Bob

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:20:32 pm »
. Buck-up Buttercup ;D ;D ;D :o Bob
Thanks Brother, :) Yep I'll add some ash too. I found out to rush ain't cool.
Also I will find the soft spot in your heel one day >:D >:D.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:09:35 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :'(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:14:07 am »
Don, here is something else that my help on the thick necks, Remember when I was explaining fleshing knives that have a dull side and a sharp side, the convex side of my fleshing knife is razor sharp and is used for shaving gristle off beaver and the tuff stuff on the neck area of coons and I try and shave down the grain side of those extra thick Buck necks, be careful its easy to cut holes with the sharp side, I have a mid range price wise fleshing knife, Today probably run about $65 and the sky is the limit on the better ones, Mine is a Necker 600, and I happened to have this from my days of trapping,,kinda pricey for entry level braintanning. Good luck with your buck hide, I have a bunch of braintan with stiff hard necks so you are not alone. Bob

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:19:07 am »
Zuma...All those charateristics you've seen epidermis have sticking onto the leather are the same that are the toughest for brain penetration too.That's why it's important to concentrate extra efforts of stretching on those areas.The neck area and the spine lines mainly.For some reason the hip joint areas even though thick aren't as stubborn.Thinning areas like this are a lot of work.Only 2 ways and that's either skiving it with a sharp blade while tender and that's tough doing a nice job or sanding after dried.At least 60 grit needed and then it will still take quite a while.
Ash soak will remove hair easily but not epidermis.For just rawhide to use just removing the hair is good enough with the epidermis a part of the rawhide.More then likely that epidermis that did come off power washing was a result of just getting tender enough from a long enough water soak.
Being a tanner is'nt a very glamorous hobby but the products produced and used from it are I think.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 10:11:44 am »
Bob as always so helpful. Thanks for takin the time to pen your experiences
not just for me but also the casual reader  that may want to get their hide tanned.
The same goes for you too Ed. Great education here.  :) :)
It always helps to know what you are in for when doing projects like these.
I guess I'll have to set my wood planner down mighty thin.  ??? ??? >:D .
All in all the power washer is a little better for me, Having the pvc pipe in my gut
is somewhat painful ( colon-ectomy).It's also better for my back and legs.
I know I still have a lot to learn and reading one of Pappy's post in another thread
helped me in the (Rush) department. He told how he would work a hide till he
wanted to stop. Then just put in the freezer till later. Pretty sure I'll be doing this
if I continue. Other wise I'll have to just salt future hides until I have enough to make
the trip to BJ's worth while. I could sit there with a toddy and let him have at it.  )P(
I agree with you all that it is less messy if you get set up properly and just do it.
Rubber gloves and an apron are good ideas. ;)
Zuma

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 05:03:47 pm »
Don, another tip on the sore stomach against your PVC or fleshing beam. Just wad up an old bath towel or a pc of burlap and put between you and beam, a little padding and also helps slippery hides from moving around. I also always start graining on the neck first. I am at my strongest both physically and maybe more so mentally, It is easy to just say ah heck good enough if I do the necks last when I am wore out.  I watched a guy this summer grain a small doe with a split deer leg bone. He made it look easy with his crude scraper. Tuff SOB naa just young. How did the coon ever turn out, curious ? Bob

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:55:18 pm »
Bob I use an old sheet . It was handy. But still a little sore.
The coon survived ok.Nothing great but the hair is all there
and flies haven't taken aa liking to it,  It wasn't really a good prime fur.
I skinned out another tonight. A much better hide.
Zuma

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 03:32:03 am »
Zuma make a little how to for that coon hide please
just a few picts  :OK

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 05:30:13 am »
Your doing great Zuma. So far you got further than I did. I'm having trouble finding the time and getting the space in the shop to work on those hides. I might have to work outside yet. My projects are starting to take up to much shop space so I'm told. Guess I probably can't argue with that. Your welcome to bring a toddy and visit anytime. Just make sure she's easy on the eyes.lol.
Bjrogg
PS maybe I'm thinking of totty's, I just know if you look up tractor totty or maybe toddy some pretty nice tractors come up.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 06:35:20 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 05:54:26 pm »
Glis I'll do  it just for you. But  it could be next year. A few things on the coon I just did.
The fleshed side came out pretty dingy looking. Could be the jersey brown gloves or the
black rubber from the tumbler?? The mink I dressed in eggs stayed pretty light colored.
I broke both hides a lot but they are more crinkly than commercial ones I have purchased.
I guess I am just a sis when it comes to brains but they may serve better than eggs.
I got to order some of that soy oil granules and try that. BTW did you read the "Here is is the plan" thread? 

BJ you are so, well so----Can't think of the exact word.  ??? Maybe it hasn't been invented yet. :-\
I hope you write us all a book one day soon.You are a born author. ;) O:)
No I would not bring a trailer totty. >:D  Oh or a tractor one either. ??? I meant I would
drink a Hot Toddy. ;D
Hot drink with spice, honey and any type of whiskey. Served warm ;D
After the first, I could substitute the spice  with whisky. ;D
 On the third replace the honey with whisky. ;D By that time you would have all the
 coons fleshed out. >:D >:D  But please don't put the coon fat in the stove :'(
Zuma
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 06:01:19 pm by Zuma »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 07:42:50 am »
BTW did you read the "Here is is the plan" thread? 
Sure i did. I'm following all the dressing/tanning/butchering posts.
Never tried in real life but I'm getting all the information I can for future use

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 09:06:46 am »
That's a good idea. Don't pay much attention to me as I am just getting my feet wet.
Actually soaked with that pressure washer ??? BJ, Bob, Ed and a few others really know their stuff. )P( :) :)
I am glad you have been lurking. I am  headed out to finish fleshing the deer skin right now
while the wheather is still soft.
Zuma

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 05:27:05 pm »
Don, ya got me all fired up with your hide work, Took 2 hides out of storage( salted and stored in 5 gal. buckets) rinsed and put them in my Bucking solution(1/2 cup of KOH (lye) in ten gallons of warm water) I am going to try and get all my stored hides to a different stage Grain, rinse, acidify, membrane and dry. When warm weather gets here going to try and finsish them all out. I have never done many in the nice weather always tried braining in the winter and using wood heat and fans to help get things to the finish. I was supposed to do some this summer but you know Summer got in the way. That's the plan. :o Later Bob