Author Topic: Whooooo  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Whooooo
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:09:18 am »
My wife, Marcia came up with an idea for a performance art project. For the last few months she and I made the paper mache masks and cloth bodies and wings. We had another couple, Holland and Mickie help us with the painting of the bodies and wings and as participants in the performance. Last Friday afternoon and night Brevard had it's "Twilight Tour" and Christmas Parade. Just after sunset we steeled away to the far end of the festival on Main Street then came into the crowd. Marcia and Mickie were the guides helping us navigate the crowd and Holland and I carried the larger owls. Marcia and Mickie wore owl masks we also made to help with the anonymity. Here are a few pics, a couple of the pics are in front of the newly remodeled gallery that Marcia is a founding member of and has been in for over 18 years. This was a fun project and performance and the crowd loved it.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Whooooo
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:29:02 am »
Very cool Pat.  I think you would have looked good in the mask.  You would have looked like a wise old owl with the beard sticking out  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:32:26 am »
Pretty cool Pat. It looks like the head is on a stick? It'd make people look if you could turn it around backwards like a real owl. One of them should be carrying that wacky tacky bow you just finished, it'd go pretty good with all those patterns and colors.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:37:05 am »
Thanks guys. It was a fun project. Hopefully we can make it an annual thing with other folks participating.
 Clint, I had my face and beard covered so folks would concentrate on the owls and not the carriers.
BJ, the large owls were supported on 2" PVC pipe upright with 1" PVC arms. Maybe by next year we can figure out how to make the heads turn.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 10:16:16 am »
Very cool work, Pat and Marcia. Was there a reason owls were chosen? Is it something special in your town or just something the ladies like to make?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 10:45:15 am »
Real cool!  Maybe a panel of "shoot-through" mesh would help with navigation, similar to the masks the various mascots wear.  Nice work on the masks and the robes, maybe some longer on the robes but about right for the "Owl Dance"!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 10:57:22 am »
Pearlie, it is more of a autumn thing, pagan/nature I guess.
Hawkdancer, I was easier to see then we thought it would be. I swept the owl back and forth, swooping it towards folks and swinging back before I got to them. We learned a lot from our first attempt. 

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 11:08:05 am »
Totally artistic and inventive. Great combo. Not to mention so much fun.
If some one ask who did it say Who, Who--- Marcia , fantastic!!
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 11:27:58 am »
Looks like lots of fun and looks like a great little town, Pat.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 12:17:06 pm »
If you guys are on Face Book #7ARTS Gallery has a FB page with probably more pics. The gallery has been around for almost 18 years but last fall/winter it mover across the street to one of the main 4 mid-town corners. I helped with the 3 month renovation. Since #7ARTS opened it's new doors business has boomed. This is a co-op gallery with about 36 local members and the mixture of art and craft is pretty phenomenal. Marcia is a water colorist but also does paper mache figures. She came up with the idea and design and started shaping the first head. After that she and I worked together to get the project done. Were were initially going to do it for the Transylvania County Halloween Festival but it rained that night so we opted for the Twilight Tour Festival instead. We needed a time when the streets were closed off to all vehicular traffic.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 12:55:31 pm »
Excellent ... real hoot ...   ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 07:37:35 pm »
Those look great.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 01:57:13 am »
Way cool and looks like a lot of FUN Pat  :OK Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 03:47:57 am »
Nice Pat, yall do very nice work. :)  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 09:51:57 am »
Very Nice there Mr. Pat!