Author Topic: Deer Drag-A-Matic 600  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Deer Drag-A-Matic 600
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:55:41 pm »
I have found I can't even drag a deer downhill without paying for it later (bad hips and back fusion gone wrong). I have my 4 wheeler for normal retrieval but what if one falls into the bottom of hollow that is not accessible with a 4 wheeler; Enter the Deer Drag-A-Matic 600, patent pending of course, he says tongue in cheek.

A 600 lb boat winch, 80 ft of 1/8" cable, a ratchet strap to secure the winch to a tree, a 20V lithium drill driver with a spare battery and manual hand crank as an optional source of power. Don't know if it will work but I suspect it might. Total cost less the drill driver, $24.

If the drill driver doesn't have enough power I have matching impact wrench (seen in the picture) that puts out 250 ft # of torque that surely will.

OK a nutty idea but there are some areas I like to hunt (walk in only) that the impossible deer retrieval has kept me away.

Offline DC

Re: Deer Drag-A-Matic 600
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 04:59:21 pm »
You know the deer is going to be 90' from the ATV don't you? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 05:01:56 pm »
That's cool. 8) 8) have you given it a dry run yet?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 05:37:48 pm »
No test yet. I pull deer in an ice fishing sled that make the resistance a bit less.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 08:01:53 pm »
The umiak and 4 wheeler with a lot of rope should work!  I thought I was being smart by have a "come along" and 600 ft of Paracord!  Move that critter 7 ft at a time!  Lot of cranking! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 05:58:25 am »
I'm glad you keep hunting and finding creative ways to do it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 06:49:09 am »
I'm glad you keep hunting and finding creative ways to do it.

Ditto what Pearl said Eric. Sure hope you get to try it out and it works flawlessly for you.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:42:53 am »
Although, that high tech device will look funny next to those low tech guns you use :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 01:13:52 pm »
Great idea! I just keep about 4 pullies and a couple hundred feet of rope.  A couple double pully setups and im normally out of the woods.  No put intended of course.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 10:14:28 pm »
Well, I gave my contraption a test this evening on a big 6 point, it didn't work, the gearing was too high and the drill driver amped out. Feeding the cable back on while using the crank was difficult. The deer hung up on the smallest thing, the winch wouldn't pull the deer off whatever it hung up on.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 05:29:06 am »
Glad to hear you got to try it out Eric. Sorry it didn't work
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 11:58:31 am »
Maybe a power takeoff winch or an electric winch off the battery on the 4 wheeler.  I have noticed that deer will hang up on almost anything, though. >:D. Congratulations on the hunt!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 12:19:06 pm »
That sucks bud,  I was hoping it would be pretty slick. Well im sure you will be able to make something that will pull!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 12:22:59 pm »
Roll the dead deer on a cheap plastic snow sled then crank it up on the trailer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 03:41:41 pm »
The buck I killed this season died at the bottom of a steep hillside.  We backed my dads UTV as close as we could get it and ran some nylon webbing and rope the rest of the way to the deer.  It was maybe 75 yards downhill to the deer.  Luckily it was clear with just some light brush in the path.  He slowly pulled the deer up to the flat where we could load it.  We were both surprised with how well that worked.  We talked about some improvements to try next year.  We thought about getting a pulley to hang on a tree limb so it would pull the deer at a better angle over the peak of the hill.  I'm going to get a longer piece of that nylon webbing to keep in the UTV.   Our property is nothing but hills and the deer seem to die in the bottoms. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left