Author Topic: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...now boo backed...now w/ osage belly  (Read 31736 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...continues
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2018, 01:42:33 pm »
Dang.   I have quickly removed backing and bellies with a coarse half round rasp until I hit the glueline and then just cleaned it up and re-prepped it.  The texture of the glue kind of stops the rasp in a way you can tell indicates you're thorough the backing.  A bit like just working to a growth ring but glue is a bit more of a buffer than the next ring.

Reduce it by facets and you'll have it cleaned up in no time.

Offline DC

« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2018, 01:45:47 pm »
It looks like it broke right through the backing and then split along the glue line. Is that what I'm seeing?

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2018, 01:55:10 pm »
Man that is such a shame that would be bow was looking like a real classic! I'm hope the Lemonwoods all intact and you're able to continue with it in a different format.  :(
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2018, 02:07:08 pm »
Sieddy, the lemonwood belly seems to be OK. I'll give it a good once over once I get the backing off.
DC, that's exactly what you are seeing.
Pat, with this breaking across the grain your first observation about the backing being bad might be true. Hickory usually doesn't break like that.
 I have a Nicholson #49 and a farriers rasp. Thanks for the suggestion. Rasping sounds like a lot more fun than grinding.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2018, 02:14:48 pm »
Buuh, that sucks!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2018, 05:09:02 pm »
The only time I’ve had hickory break like that in tension was when a sliver of heartwood separated from sapwood and it was dramatic; pieces flew everywhere. What a bummer.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2018, 06:02:08 pm »
That sucks Pat.Do you think the glue line gave way in that certain area to get it to crack in that area?In that order I mean.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2018, 08:03:19 pm »
Ed, I'll do a post mourtum in a day or so and see if I can figure it out. Being that the hickory broke across grain makes me think hidden rot. The lemonwood and hickory came from the same guy at the same time and who knows how the hickory was handled off the stump. They were taped together and stored in our utility room for the last 3 years and that room has the most stable temp and humidity in our house.
hoosierf, the only other hickory backing I had break had rot in it and I didn't know til too late. It is almost impossible to break sound, healthy hickory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2018, 08:17:12 pm »
Take your time figuring out what to do, and know that we're with you in spirit. Sometimes these things end up being a blessing in disguise.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2018, 08:30:03 pm »
This will also be a good to see how you go about trying to salvage the bow from here on out. I'm cheering for you, Pat!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2018, 10:10:09 am »
I will start the autopsy today. Yesterday was my wife's birthday. We and another couple celebrated at out local sushi restaurant. After a few pork dumplings, a few sushi rolls, some beautiful sashimi tuna and a few Sapporo beers(my first beer since October but ya gotta have cold beer with sushi) I woke up this morning with a clear head.  ???
 After an initial inspection of the splinter it looks like a possible dry glue line there but I won't know for sure until the autopsy is complete. I'll gingerly pry the splinter up as not to damage the belly then rasp and grind the rest of the backing off to see what I can find. Of course, I'll take pics as I go along.
 More later...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2018, 11:47:58 am »
I do believe it was a dry glue line where the splinter lifted as you can see in these pics...

...I used a Sharpie to mark the glue line so I didn't rasp into the belly...

...then rasped a facet along the side of the backing making sure I didn't go into the belly using a Nicholson #41 that Matt gave me after my #49 walked off(thanks Matt)...

...I marked the facets so you can see where I rasped...

...then I use the course side of a farriers rasp to take down the crown...

So far this hasn't been as bad as I expected. More to come...

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2018, 12:24:55 pm »
Auch that sucks! But I am glad you are on your way to save it! And get a good workout too :BB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2018, 02:18:50 pm »
That was hardly the workout, leonwood but the rest was.
 I removed the Sharpie lines from down the side of the limbs so I could see the glue line better. After rasping the facets and bringing down the crown with a farriers rasp as close as I felt safe...

...then is was over to the Stave Master and a scraper to remove the remaining hickory backing...

I scraped down the crown to get as much as I could for now. As I got to the edges I could hear the sound change when I got to the Glue line. It was just like PatM said, like the different sounds when chasing an osage ring when you got to the early wood. Thanks for the tips Pat, the rasping and the sound.

I've come to another stopping point. I'll start again tomorrow whit a fresh head. To be continued...

Offline txdm

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2018, 02:19:46 pm »
By Dry Glue Line, do you mean that's a spot that didn't get enough glue?