Author Topic: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...now boo backed...now w/ osage belly  (Read 31619 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...continues
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2018, 02:27:13 pm »
I made sure I had good glue coverage on both the belly and backing strip before I wrapped it and clamped it to the form. For some reason the glue didn't stick on the belly side as it set along this one area. I haven't found it anywhere else yet. This is why I'm taking the backing down to the glue line so I can see if it happened any where else.

I did find another oddity in the backing after I took it down some. This wasn't obvious on the surface but once I got the backing down just a little I noticed this discoloration and not just in this area but along the whole backing strip. I can't tell if it is fungal or possibly mineral but I've never seen it before in hickory...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2018, 03:18:03 pm »
Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2018, 10:58:20 pm »
So, do you think the backing was the problem?  Like maybe that wasn't something glued to it but a fungus of some sort?  I hope it wasn't the glue since I just bought a big tub... :)
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2018, 09:31:28 am »
Bob, so far I've only found a starved glue joint where the splinter lifted. A 1/4" strip of hickory about 6" long along that one edge. This glue up had the best glue lime I've ever done. I don't do many glue ups. I did also find the discoloration in the hickory backing but while removing it I would say it was sound so I think it was a starved glue joint in that one area...but, not the glue.
 I've used Weldwood Plastic Resin for many years on and off and never had a failure. Why this starved glue joint happened I don't know.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2018, 09:38:36 am »
You just wrapped it in rubber didn't you? No extra clamps that might have squeezed that area?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2018, 10:47:57 am »
DC, I did have 2 "C" at the handle and one at each tip but otherwise only bound with inner tubes. I've done better with previous glue ups with inner tube wraps than I ever did with spring clamps or "C" clamps. It is really puzzling to me why it happened where it did.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2018, 10:53:50 am »
I just went back to page 5 where I have pics of the glue up wrapped with inner tube and the clamps installed. There is an extra "c" clamp about 6" above the handle on the right hand side. That is on the opposite side of the where the joint delaminated.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2018, 06:52:14 am »
It's good to know it's not the glue.  I have used c-clamps for BBOs for many years with Urac... I may need to rethink that and go back to tubes/spring clams...
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline PatM

« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2018, 08:19:54 am »
I just went back to page 5 where I have pics of the glue up wrapped with inner tube and the clamps installed. There is an extra "c" clamp about 6" above the handle on the right hand side. That is on the opposite side of the where the joint delaminated.

Maybe that off center clamp opened the other side a fraction and let the glue run out a bit?  Do you remember why you put just one clamp there?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2018, 08:26:26 am »
Pat B....Good plan to remove that backing.A lot of work I realize too as I've removed bamboo before like that.Next glue up will work good I bet.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2018, 12:29:21 pm »
I have a question for you boo backing guys. I have this boo backing strip someone gave me a few years ago but I'm not sure it's up to the task. It seems to have come from an immature culm. The walls are relatively thin, only 1/4" thick on this 1 7/8" wide strip and the power fibers seem to be less dense than other boo I've seen and used...

Also, there is a bud at one of the nodes and it has the sulcus (indentation) ...

...the discoloration along the sulcus seems to be only that, discoloration. I can't feel any irregularity.
So, I guess my question is...is this boo backing strip worth the effort of the job for my backed lemonwood bow. I don't want to loose the lemonwood if possible and I'm doubting if this boo backing strip will give me the weight I'm shooting for(45# to 55#) with the lemonwood belly. It seems to be from an immature boo culm although it is not wrinkled like immature boo does as it dries.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2018, 06:20:06 pm »
It’s hard to see the fibers in the picture. If have doubts about it, bent it about and listen to it if every thing looks ok and it feels good then is it. If you just don’t feel comfortable at all using it, I have a large supply of mature moso bamboo strips. Send me your address and I’ll ship it off next time I run into town.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2018, 06:20:42 pm »
I'd hate to misdirect you, but bamboo is very strong, and it doesn't take much to hold a back.

As to the draw weight, maybe it would make weight, but otherwise you probably already know you can......... A. shorten the bow. B. re-glue with more reflex. C. add a very thin lamination between back and belly lams (maybe even just a power-lam and tip wedges, depending....) or D. wait until you get the backing you want.   Up to you since you are there doing all the work.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2018, 09:51:29 pm »
Bryce, I appreciate the offer but I think I'll get this ready and shaped and see how I feel then about it.
Springbuck, this set up might surprise me. Even if it comes out a light it should still be a nice bow.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2018, 10:28:16 pm »
Bryce, I appreciate the offer but I think I'll get this ready and shaped and see how I feel then about it.
Springbuck, this set up might surprise me. Even if it comes out a light it should still be a nice bow.
Okay, just know it’s always on the table:)
Clatskanie, Oregon