Author Topic: Gotta love limb opposite profiles  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Gotta love limb opposite profiles
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:21:54 pm »
I'm starting the tiller on anoyher difficult profile and wood type. I think the starting profile on each limb is a complete opposite of each other. It's gonna make for an interesting look when all tillered out. If it will. It's another black cherry elb. This time it's backed with heavy flooring paper and I'm only going for a 50# at 27" draw and is 72" between the nock points. Like my temp nocks with the double cinching loops?

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Gotta love limb opposite profiles
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:54:48 pm »
Here it is at a 5" brace and pulled to 19" though it's gone to 21". 6" to go. How's it look?

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 03:09:25 pm »
I would think that with the deflex reflex of the stave that the tiller should reflect that. The reflexed limb should be almost straight at brace height. It looks like you've tillered for appearance rather than even bend. That's what makes these staves so difficult.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 03:47:11 pm »
That's why I wanted to post it on here before I went much further. Think that taking a couple sets of scrapes off the left side would help even that out a bit? And the right limb is planned to be the top. I've been watching the handles movement to get an idea of which limb is stronger. I may have let it go a bit too much in the direction I wanted it stronger. I feel like I always have a diffiluct time telling if tag tiller is even when the tips have that much different of a starting point.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 04:09:05 pm »
Tough tiller. Both limbs have to move the same amount so the tiller will always appear off but is not .
I've had enough of those. I did many in the early days.
Now I try to reflex the other limb to match as much as possible.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 04:51:47 pm »
Total agreement Jawge. Those staves drive me nuts, and I never quite feel satisfied even if they shoot fine.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 04:53:41 pm »
I gotta go with Jawge. I've only made 50 or so bows so my tillering may be at question but if a guy like Jawge who arguably has made millions of bows evens out the limbs before hand, I think that is the way to go. And to look at it another way, if you tiller it correctly it will look uneven at brace and full draw and you will be the only one that knows the tiller is good. Not that we care what others think ;) ;) ;) ;)
Bow of the month would have no entries if that were the case.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 05:17:10 pm »
I love tillering those kinds of bows. They're not really any more difficult than others. When you tiller bows with regard to dynamic balance, you tiller those the same as any other bow. I can tell you for sure that if I was tillering that bow, it wouldn't look like that at brace.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 05:22:25 pm »
I took an extra rasping. And some extra sets of scraping from the lower limb to bring it closer to even strength. I may take a little more from te bottom limb, but I don't feel too bad about this one. Being black cherry and pulling 55# at 27", it has to at least be close to still be in one piece with no frets. But it does have a light thumping te shot and doesn't have any noticeable rock when drawn. How's it look after a couple dozen shots? I typically try to tiller, so that when long string and up to about 18" I pull from the center of the string so the handle starts out perpendicular to the pull line and doesn't move as I pull back. Then I'll shift to my hold spots to finish tillering out. This one through me for some reason
The unbraced is right after a couple dozen shots and I tried leveling the handle on the unbraced and braced pics.
All input for tweaks is appreciated.
Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 05:25:08 pm »
In the braced pick, that spot the rope is, is there to balance the weight and flatten out the stave. It's not where I pulled from. I don't feel like to brace it too far off, but the full draw is off by a bit. The lower tip should be a bit lower compared to the top.

Kyle

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 05:49:38 pm »
the white lines make it difficult for me to see the tiller,,  )W(

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 06:43:45 pm »
Kyle said,
"I'm starting the tiller on anoyher"

I'm not into naming bows much but I think you should name this "The Anoyher""

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 04:08:35 pm »
these white lines are playing tricks on my eyes, so it seems. The lower limb always seems to hinge where it crosses the white line, no matter how far on the limb it is!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 04:35:29 pm »
It seems I might have to change the line colors when it warms back up. Maybe make them brown. It's a bit easier to see the limbs working in person and the kind don't seem to mess with you as much. I'll try to get a hand drawn picture soon to see what you all think, if that'll help some.

Kyle

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 07:32:40 pm »
In my opinion a perfect tiller would be asymmetrical with the left limb becoming the top of the bow and the bottom bending a little less.