Author Topic: All Wood Laminated Bow Building Info?  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Stoner

All Wood Laminated Bow Building Info?
« on: December 14, 2017, 08:57:04 pm »
Hello all, I would like to know what books or videos are out there on building all wood laminated bows?

I have been building selfbows & glass laminated bows for years. I have been reading threads on the bows you guys have been showing the finished pictures of. I know little or nothing about thickness formulas, wood types, glues, cauls, etc. I see the TBB4 has a chapter on this, also Dean Torges video on the bamboo backed bow. Please let me know if I am overthinking this or books / videos not to waste my time on.
Thanks, John

Offline PatM

Re: All Wood Laminated Bow Building Info?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:11:51 pm »
You are overthinking it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 10:01:39 pm »
Plenty of information right here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 03:28:50 am »
I also just started making all wood laminate bows , Dean Torges DVD is a great for bamboo back bows but If your interested in making bows like you mentioned & making your own parallels & tappers , Jack Harrison's book is great for it , every thing is referenced off the all wood bow in there and one of the best long bow design chapters I have ever seen the book is geared for all wood and glass bows , stack formulas seem a little more strait forward for wood bows and are adjustable with scraping after the fact , don't feel bad I over think stuff to but better then under thinking it , I don't know if your interested in hunting to ,but in Jacks book he has a excellent chapter on close range hunting ! But there is a well of knowledge hear to !  Howard Hill made all wood laminate bows prior to glass and there is a lot of info on the net regarding that style !
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:03:50 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 06:27:23 am »
+1 what Pat said;-) You said you worked glass bows so you know how to taper cores. Just glue some lams up and tiller as you would a selfbow

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 07:55:21 am »
With most bow making the trick is to build the first one!
That generally give you enough info to make  the next ones how you want 'em :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 10:08:01 am »
I thought he was talking about The TBB 4 bow with pre engenered lams a lot of glass bowyers dont grind there own lams I think the guys in TBB also purchased pre ground lams for that bow , Marc St louis makes some relly nice lam bows some of the best posted here, there is a lot of old threads of his and past articles in PA magazine ! To look at if your interested
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:41:26 am by Stick Bender »

Offline Stoner

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 08:50:42 pm »
Thank you for the replies fella's. I am not familiar with Jack Harrison. Can you please post some info on the publishing company, book name, where to purchase?

I am also interested in in bamboo backing but, I really like mixing wood combos. I have a lot of quilted and curly woods I squirreled away from when I worked in the cabinet shop. John

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 09:12:08 pm »
Quilted and curly woods are not a recipe for success in all wood bows. At least in the working sections.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 11:21:44 pm »
Quilted and curly woods are not a recipe for success in all wood bows. At least in the working sections.

I agree with you for the most part, but hickory if you can find it (fiddleback) can work, I backed a cascara bow with fiddleback hickory, and it worked out fine, a friend is enjoying the bow. You really need to be able to read the wood.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 04:09:20 am »
John the book is Traditional Bowyer More unnecessary fun  Jack Harrison. Wolf Printing , I wasn't sure from your first post exactly what type of laminate you wanted to make but if your pursuing the one like that's in TBB 4 laminate bow section you mentioned, then that book is a great asset besides my mentor & bowyer friends it has taking the guess work out of it for me but it's big and heavy reading , I'm following Del's Idea of making the first and going from there but I'm also learning when designing the type of bow described above that nobody can help you unless the design allready exists as far as stack thicknesse & tappers  so in the end you really have no choice but to build the bow and find out !

Offline Stoner

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 07:30:52 pm »
Thanks again for the help guy's, I ordered Jack Harrisons book tonight. Can't wait. John

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 03:36:31 am »
 Well John you have about 6 lbs of reading ahead of you !  But sense I got that book my need to ask questions dropped by 90 % on laminate bows hope you enjoy ! Let us know how you like it. One thing I like all ready is that style bow is cheap & quicker to make ,leaving more room for experimenting !