Author Topic: Harp  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Newindian

Harp
« on: December 20, 2017, 12:40:13 am »
I don’t know if y’all remember me, I’m an engineering student these days and haven’t had much time for personal projects. I once made a harp for a school project that was crap but was good enough for me to learn to play, since then I’ve decided to work on improving my instrument building . This is a harp I made for practice started about a year and a half ago, 33 strings 920lbs tension, pretty much made out of what you can get out of your local Lowe’s/homedepot. Harping build sure is more strict than bows.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:47:17 am by Newindian »
I like free stuff.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Harp
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 05:28:15 am »
Very nice newindian, I'm sure Marc will be interested. He has built several he has post right here.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:15:10 am »
That is a heck of a project. Beautiful looking.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 09:58:43 am »
Very cool.. Says the guy that can't barely play the radio  :o
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 10:52:28 am »
Congratulations!  I don't have the talent, skills, or tools and space to make a harp!  My harp was made by a friend who does and wanted to make a prototype, so I had him set it up for a left handed player, similar to a wire strung type.  I also have a "travel" model I am renting.  What type music do you play?  I am more into Celtic, and traditional folk music.  What sort of stand do you have on yours! 
Good luck with the engineering program!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 12:14:13 pm »
That is beautiful work.

WA

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 12:49:26 pm »
Very nice! It must take a lot of patience and persistence.  )W( :BB ;D
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 03:50:54 pm »
Very nice.  For a 33 string you must have a couple wound strings on there.  You should try and post a bigger picture so we can have a better look at it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 07:24:12 pm »
Beautiful work

Offline Newindian

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 12:02:31 am »
Congratulations!  I don't have the talent, skills, or tools and space to make a harp!  My harp was made by a friend who does and wanted to make a prototype, so I had him set it up for a left handed player, similar to a wire strung type.  I also have a "travel" model I am renting.  What type music do you play?  I am more into Celtic, and traditional folk music.  What sort of stand do you have on yours! 
Good luck with the engineering program!
Hawkdancer
I really only play what I make up myself, if I get the money to buy levers I’ll probably find something more formal. I still need to make a stand for it (which it needs rather desperately, if not just to make it less top heavy)
I like free stuff.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 12:07:20 am »
Very nice.  For a 33 string you must have a couple wound strings on there.  You should try and post a bigger picture so we can have a better look at it
I’ll get some up soon. It’s actually all nylon, the last four are 250lb and 300lb (1.6mm and 1.8mm) mono leader material ( cheaper than the proper stuff, sounds the same, a little softer feel), last one is 60in long I think, an f2. If you try to it’s not hard to get the last few strings  to hit each other but it doesn’t in regular play. I figured wound strings were an expense and headache I didn’t want for this practice harp. I do plan on using them for future ones, hopefully can hit a couple deeper notes.
I like free stuff.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 12:28:11 am »
You may notice that the shell is tiny, 8” across the bottom, when I first cut my staves for my practice harp  and lined them up it turned out that the saw’s indicated angle was off by quite a lot, but lucky it worked out that I just had to cut out a couple staves and I could still get a shell (thus I ended up with a practice practice harp)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:42:53 am by Newindian »
I like free stuff.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 12:28:59 am »
A little note on scale, I’m 5’11”,  the top of the shell sits at my hip when I stand by it and the top of the neck sits around my forehead. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:43:23 am by Newindian »
I like free stuff.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 12:37:53 am »
I like free stuff.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 02:05:19 am »
Question from an Old Guitar player - how are those Harps to tune ? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.