Author Topic: Splicing rawhide midlimb?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Morgan

Splicing rawhide midlimb?
« on: December 20, 2017, 07:32:59 pm »
I have been working on a little Cherokee style bow as a Christmas present for my 8 year old. Have it tillered as good as I can. 48” long and drawing 22# @ 21 inches. I have shot the little thing multiple times, and all is well but there are some problem areas on the back that worry me. One knot hump that I took a little off the top of and one small area that I think I got through the back ring just a bit when scraping off cambium. I want to back it since it’s going to my child. I have several pieces of left over rawhide in 3-12” long strips. I  sanded a thinned out angle on the end of some of the longer strips and have them hydrating now. My intention is to splice at the thinned section and either thread or cut thin “cords” of rawhide to wrap the splice. I think it  work, but would love opinions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Splicing rawhide midlimb?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 07:54:43 pm »
If you can get a smooth beveled lap joint you shouldn't need a wrap especially at that light weight. A simple thread wrap set in glut if you are worried. Just wrap with the ends tucked under the wrap. then add super glue or TB glue to seal and protect.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 08:05:26 pm »
if you do a small overlap and glue well, no wrap would be needed. I would overlap a good 1/2 inch plus the sanded tapered section.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 08:40:41 pm »
Thanks guys, I was thinking it would be ok, but wanted re-assurance as I haven’t seen it done before