Author Topic: Target face for bare shafting  (Read 2756 times)

Offline DC

Target face for bare shafting
« on: December 26, 2017, 06:57:33 pm »
What do you use for a target when bare shafting? Even if the arrow goes in pretty straight I find that it tears holes in my target face. I'm using a plastic bag filled box with recycled commercial target faces from the range. When they put new faces on their targets I use the unpunctured areas to face my targets.

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Target face for bare shafting
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:36:17 pm »
Banana stalk, just follow the growth rings

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:26:08 pm »
I use a blob target.  It doesn't affect the angle of the arrow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 10:31:30 am »
Banana stalk, just follow the growth rings
Banana stalk? I'm going to need more info :D :D

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:38:22 am »
I use a blob target.  It doesn't affect the angle of the arrow.

You mean one of those bags full of stuff? Doesn't the arrow still tear the covering. You can see the big hole it makes compared to regular shots. It went in fairly straight too.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 10:40:59 am »
The blob target is nothing but dense foam.  No layers inside

Not my picture.  Just an example

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 12:42:50 pm »
I've been using those blob targets for years. I like them because I can test arrows with field points, trade and commercial points and stone points. I have actually shot out 2 of them over the years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 10:59:58 pm »
DC
It’s a cheap and local alternative here, once the plant fruits, you cut it down anyways. Then just cut crosswise and stack in a grid pattern. pack it in a half ways cut box to hold it together. Replace when it gets rotten and soak if it dries. Trick I learned from my dad when he tests his air rifles.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 11:48:01 pm »
Got one of the used to be cheap foam block targets I've been trucking around for 30 years. Or I go out to the local Range,  about 2 miles away   Block Works fine if you keep it square, and shoot one arrow at each little target.  The range has huge practice butts that are cotton(?) bales covered with burlap and marked with aiming spots, 10 yards, out to 40 yards.  I use the 10 yd for bare shafting.  I can get 10 yards into the garage, but don't want to chance holes in the garage door, got to make a good moveable carpet backstop.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 01:29:00 pm »
I use a new styrafoam block. There's about 20 of 'em stacked in the shed.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 01:52:07 pm »
Do you guys just use the blobs and blocks for bare shafting? I'm quite happy with my Bulldog target except for the fabric tearing when I bare shaft. Do other people have the same trouble when they're bareshafting?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 03:17:28 pm »
I've got 2 of the blob targets that I got from the dealer at the Classic.  One of them is about 3'x4' and probably weighs 150 lbs.  I keep it in the garage for shooting in a bow when I'm working on one.  My other blob target is smaller.  I'll put it out in the yard and shoot it. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 04:22:39 pm »
Do you guys just use the blobs and blocks for bare shafting? I'm quite happy with my Bulldog target except for the fabric tearing when I bare shaft. Do other people have the same trouble when they're bareshafting?

Have 10-12 targets on my lil shooting range. All are styrofoam except for 1 gunny sack filled with plastic bags. Styrofoam blocks not the most durable target material, but they are free. I like the gunny sack ... easy to withdraw arrows and reasonably durable ... but so far used it as hanging target and there's not many suitable "hanging" spots, unless do bunch of digging for posts.

Hmmmmm .... could bag target be secured to front of styrofoam? Hadn't considered that . . . . ..
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857