Author Topic: Maple backed Buckthorn recurve  (Read 10335 times)

Offline willie

Re: Maple backed Buckthorn recurve
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 05:08:05 pm »
I have always thought sugar maple has more potential for backings than previously given credit for. Perhaps the same for the elasticity of buckthorn?

Nice bow, Marc.  excellent craftsmanship.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 05:16:14 pm »
First nice bow! I have never worked buckthorn, but it looks soooo close to Cascara I wonder the difference.(SG) Cascara is much better decrowned and backed, than it is self bow material as well. The color is almost identical!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:20:36 pm by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 06:22:42 pm »
Thanks guys
Buckthorn is considered an invasive species, it can invade my property anytime  :OK

Yes I added some refex with dry-heat and glued-in more with the backing.  I find that when I heat some reflex into the limbs before glue-up then there is a lot less spring-back taking the bow off the form.  The backing was one piece but I have used a 2 piece backing before, doesn't make any difference really.  The backing is 1/8" thick at center with a slight thickness taper to the tips.  The Buckthorn was more than 1/2" thick when I glued the bow up but I could have started with considerably less thickness, the Buckthorn is less than 3/8" thick mid-limb.  I do pre-bend the backing at the recurves and at the handle.

Cascara and Buckthorn are in the same species.  Cascara (Rhamnus purshiana) and Common Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica)

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 06:29:12 pm »
I can't believe the consistent tiller profiles on your bows regardless of the materials used - I'm humbled every time I see one.
Would buckthorn be growing in central NY state? We have what locals call"thorn apple" that has small orange fruit and nasty 2" thorns.
Another beauty.

Buckthorn seems to be everywhere in our region. " Thornapple"is hawthorne.  Often it might be an invasive as well but it's not the same species.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 07:04:31 pm »

Marc, those are just about the sweetest looking profiles I've ever seen. If I was a betting man, I'd say it at least shoots in the high 170s, approaching, if not breaking 180.

I sent a bow of this design to Steve for testing many years ago, it was Ash backed HHB.  He was getting just under 190 fps with it and I'm sure this bow can easily get that

As I said though, I'm no longer interested in making self-bows out of the wood but it would probably be great sinew backed. 

I would love to have a stack of it as well Chris, fortunately I do have enough for at least a dozen bows like this.
[/quote]

Okay, my bets are on it breaking 200 then! I love your bows Marc. One day I'm gonna buy one from ya!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 07:22:48 pm »
Beautiful work as always, Marc!

If you come across buckthorn, what do you look for as far as making a backed bow go? As you mentioned, buckthorn is an invasive species and I know, in particular, the Minnesota DNR advocates for the removal of buckthorn whenever its found. As I like to do my part to preserve the native woodlands and bogs, I try to what I can.  So, if I do go out to look for stray buckthorn, it would be nice to save a piece or two from the burn like.

;D
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Yard Dog

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 07:44:11 pm »
Very nice !!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 07:52:47 pm »
Well 200 might be a bit too optimistic.

It's tough to find a decent stave of Buckthorn but a little bit easier to find a 3' long piece that's clear of branches and big enough.  It doesn't grow around here but there are plenty in the Ottawa area and whenever I am there I spend as much time in the bush as I can.  I do happen to know where there is a 6" diameter tree that's straight with 6' of pretty well branch free growth, unfortunately it's in a sensitive area.  Lovely tree though
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 08:36:53 pm »
Okay, 195 then.  :)

Buckthorn is everywhere around Rochester and people will pay you to cut it down. I'll make it a point to collect a bunch and post it on the trading post when I get the chance.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:56 pm »
Just be mindful for state laws when it comes to invasive species. For example, in Minnesota, it's illegal to transport invasive species into the state. I'm not sure if a stave would be of worry, but I know they stress over firewood and there isn't a super huge difference between firewood and staves. I also don't know if the shipper would need to worry... And I might be making a big stink out of nothing, but it's something to mull over.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 06:15:21 am »
Just be mindful for state laws when it comes to invasive species. For example, in Minnesota, it's illegal to transport invasive species into the state. I'm not sure if a stave would be of worry, but I know they stress over firewood and there isn't a super huge difference between firewood and staves. I also don't know if the shipper would need to worry... And I might be making a big stink out of nothing, but it's something to mull over.

Good points to consider ty  )W(

Nigerian Proverb

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 07:17:31 am »
Many states, Wisconsin included, not only allow, but encourage the removal of invasive species from public lands including parks with no permit required. Just google invasive species DNR for your state and you’ll find a lot info.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 07:40:11 am »
Another beauty Marc. Beautiful tiller and finish work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 08:28:48 am »
Hi Marc,

This is a gorgeous bow with an exceptional tiller and profile and beautiful finish. I concur with the rest of the gang here, that this must be an incredibly fast bow. I think this has bow of the month potential!

Love your work,

Phil

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 08:59:14 am »
Marc, excellent bow! Congratulations!
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!