Author Topic: How did I do?  (Read 3016 times)

Offline DC

How did I do?
« on: January 24, 2018, 07:05:16 pm »
This is a 2"x10"x4' Rock Maple (Sugar Maple)board I found today. The edge grain on the narrow side looks great I think. I followed one grain line with a Sharpie. On the flat side the grain looks OK on the flat side for half the board and I don't know for the other half. It was split on this face so I followed the split with the Sharpie. I did the same on the end. I'm hoping to cut backing from this and maybe even a couple of billets. What do you think?

Offline willie

Re: How did I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:31:09 pm »
wished I could find a chunk like that. I like maple for a backing. seems like diffuse porous woods are a bit more tolerant to runout than ring porous

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 12:51:51 am »
Don't know but I bit you get some billets for sure though. Good luck with the build. Never worked maple before. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:46:45 am »
Looks like a nice, knot free Sugar Maple board. I think it should work great for what you have in mind. I have lots of Sugar Maple in my bush, so let me know how you make out!

I wouldn't mind trying to make a bow from one myself. I am thinking though, that I should use a younger tree that was forced to grow nice and straight without too many bottom branches.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:12:45 am »
This is the first board I have ever bought for bow making and I really wasn't sure if if was good enough. While I was at Windsor Plywood I was talking to the guys and apparently they have guys that keep their eyes open for nice straight grained wood so you can order "bow wood" from them.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 06:25:16 pm »
Im sure you will make good use of that DC. Lots of projects in that piece  of wood.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 06:54:32 pm »
I think you can definitely get some backing strips and billets from that.  Looks real good in my estimation, though I haven't used maple before, I had a similar hickory board I got a lot from.

At 10" wide, you could theoretically get 4 two-inch wide billets, and have about 1.5" to rip some backing strips.  If you went 1/4" per strip, might get 4 backing strips.  Or go for 2 billets and a lot more backing strips.  I'd go for more backing strips if it were me.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 06:59:56 pm »
Is there a way to test backing strips to see if they'll hold up or is it called making a bow? My brother-in-law just got a brand new hi-tech table saw so I'll get him to cut off a dozen or so strips. If I tried to use mine i would probably start a fire :D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 08:18:25 pm »
Sorry but I probably wouldn't use that for backing strips
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 08:29:27 pm »
Can I ask why?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 11:20:17 pm »
Pending Marc's response, I'm sure he has good reason, if you want to test it as a backing,  you could rip an 1/8 inch strip and do a bend test to see how it holds up.  Understanding all the bending will be in the middle, but if it holds up to a good bend before breaking, I'd think that'd be a good indicator.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 11:59:21 pm »
It would test its ability to bend but I don't think it would put it under the same amount of tension that being glued to the back of a bow would.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 12:08:47 am »
   We already know sugar maple is a good backing. A bend test won't really tell you much. You just make a bow and test it there.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 04:22:09 am »
I'm watching this one. I have some sugar maple.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 06:54:35 am »
Can I ask why?

You say you marked the grain with a sharpie.  On the last pic the lines show considerable grain run-off.  If that is the case then I wouldn't trust it as backing material.  I only use the best for backings, that's why I cut my own trees
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com