Author Topic: First Hickory bow  (Read 3385 times)

Offline JWMALONE

First Hickory bow
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:49:18 am »
Hello Guys and Gals. This is my first hickory bow and my 4th successful build. I bought this online from a not so well know vendor a few months ago it was cheap. The board was 1.5 by 1 by 71. Now it is 67 inches t2t, 1 3/8 wide at the fade parallel for 8 inches tapering to .5 at the  nocks. The glue on riser in cedar, its a tad under 12 inches and sits on 13/16ths of hickory the hickory makes up the last inch of riser at 14 inches. The handle is 7/8 wide 1.5/8 thick, fades are right at 4 inches. #58 @28. Sealed it with several coats of mineral oil (experiment) and a lil charcoal, nothing fancy blue collar working bow. Gizmo and yard stick says its good tiller pic looks off but its right. The issue I had with it was a twist, the grain as viewed from the end made a sharp 90? this limb developed a twist which threw the string off. I tillered, I heated, I filed nocks but it kept coming back like Rocky Balboa after Apollo Creed. So I will live with it. It was the top limb so I flipped it over made it the bottom so that the string is closer to strike plate. Put a couple hundred arrows through it this morning, shoots pretty good twist and all no hand shock, the string tracks consistently in a line so what the hey. Overall I'm happy, it will sling an arrow were I'm looking and bury a zwickey to the fletch in my hay bail. Okay the hay bail is a lil worn but it buries them like my #55 glass recurve.
        Thanks for the help Guys.

Ever wonder why hillbillies flip the front brim up their hat straight up, now ya know.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First Hickory bow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 09:53:36 am »
Looks good, John. Congratulations!   Don't worry about a little twist. It won't hurt anything.     :BB (-S (SH)
 I like hand rubbed oil/charcoal with hickory. Makes a nice coloration for a hickory bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:56:34 am »
Things like that keep me up at night. Been a problem of mine my whole life, but my customers love me so I use it to my advantage.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 10:57:48 am »
That looks like a "put meat on the table bow." Great job on this bow.
Eric

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 12:12:49 pm »
Look great! Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 12:15:08 pm »
Looks fine to me!  Nicely done.
1’—>1’

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 12:35:20 pm »
I entered in the BOM contest, don't think ill ever get my picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone but PA is more my speed anyhow.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 02:38:18 pm »
Looks good to me!  I hope mine turns out nearly as well!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 03:28:17 pm »
 JW,
          Really nice even bend and love the stiff outers, looks balanced in your hand...Nice unstrung profile for Hickory also, especially at bow #4 ! You should be proud buddy... (SH)  Looking forward to your Hickory stave build...
                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Yard Dog

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 04:34:36 pm »
Good job !!! Fine looking bow !!

Offline Yorec

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 11:45:44 pm »
Nice. I’d love to try hickory!

Offline M2A

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 09:12:25 am »
Nice Job. Good looking bow.