Author Topic: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)  (Read 69423 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 01:28:30 am »
Uhm! I think there is a pick of his spall on the "Life is Good In the Northwest" link.  Really good spall!  ::) 

Now, Keenan are ya going to make a point out of it? Can I have it if not? ;D

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2008, 01:32:59 am »
 ;D ;D  Don't know what yr talkin about there JJ.  You and David were the ones banging out all the points and blades and such. ::) Heck I was busy with dishes and meals and such. Remember that was the deal for me gettin to sleep in the teepee and all :D
 Yr right JJ she definately getts right to the point and tends to be kind of cold and hard headed at times. ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2008, 01:35:39 am »
 Opps ::) guess it's hard to deny when I already posted pics,,, >:( Just had to point that out didn't ya David.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2008, 01:37:40 am »
Yep! A picture speaks a thousand words...and then some!!!!

You read the IM's I sent ya? Need some help with that elm stave. Need some advice!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 01:50:09 am »
 Just sent ya a PM.  Keep me posted on that one. Keenan

Offline Allen7

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2008, 01:52:35 am »
Hey Guys:  Just wondering if you heard my blood curdling scream tonight.  Sceamed so loud I scared the horses.    I was in my cave (barn)tonight napping another point.  After finishing anotheer nice 2 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch point, I decided to try something larger out of some of the lizard skin spalls.   After about 45 minutes it was really looking good.  I thought I was going to make my first 6 inch spear point.  It was about 6 in x 2 1/2in x 3/8in.  Then the tip broke off - case of end shock.  Aarrgg!!!!   That lizard skin obsidian is tough to work, but this was my fault.   I am just not experienced with the bigger stuff.   However the other point looks great.   After that I went out and shot my twisted yew bow for awhile.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 04:13:06 am »
man, you have got the bug bad! at this rate you will run out of stone before summer. that is a bummer about the break, we have all been there. keep posting the pics, I havent had time to work on much, too busy with work. cant wait to see the incredible blade Keenan makes from his "spall of the century" :D

Offline Little John

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2008, 10:07:49 am »
Allen, yes it would be fun to do horse archery with others, I am just self taught and not verry good. It seems to be more about horseman ship. I know I need to get a special horse for it as after a sescion or two my reining horse gets to taking advantage to the fact that I am dropping the reins and takes quite a bit to get him tuned back up. He pretty much goes where I am looking so I can guide with the reins dropped, looks like in your picture that your horse was trained to follow the same track each run? My worst problem is that I cant get off more than two arrows per run and the compitition calls for three and I am no good at the going away shot. I shoot mostly at a hay bale and like to do it bareback, my horse gets a bite or two when I fetch the arrows and I use the bale to help get back on as my horse ( J.B. ) is 16 hands tall.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Keenan

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »
 ;D ;D   Thanks JJ, I jusst shot coffe out my nose onton the hey board. So now it's the spall of the centry not just the spall of the day :o :o  Now I'm really afraid to work it ;D First I'm going to have to remember where I hid it ??? I remember wrapping it up in something so it wouldn't break and hiding it so it wouldn't migrate into someones bucket ;D  (JJ)   

Offline Allen7

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2008, 01:28:01 pm »
Little John - Yes, the horsemanship is the most important part of horseback archery.   If your horse is responding to your leg cues that is great.   If you want a straight run while shooting it helps to use a shallow rut, or path.  You can train the horse to run a straight line on the path when doing the HBA and still keep the leg cue response.   In the Kassai competitions you can shoot as many or as few arrows as you want.  To be able to shoot more arrows per run you have to practice blind nocking your arrows more and possibly slow your horse down to a slower canter.   I have shot as many as 7 arrows per run.   However, my highest HBA competition score came from shooting just 3 arrows per run.   I also have problems with the parting shot.   Need to do more stretching of the midsection to relax and twist around.   Attached is is another horseback archery photo during a Kassai USA competition.   My horse, Chikanery, really took well to this activity.  I will be at our Colyak Bowhunters annual 3D Traditional Archery Shoot all weekend, so will not be knapping or practicing horseback archery much this weekend.   I'll probably be scratching thru the bushes looking for my arrows quite a bit.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2008, 03:03:33 pm »
Yo napot Kivanok, Allen! Didnt know you studied at the Kassai school. Lived a year in Hungary myself in College. Didnt know about the horse back mounted archery untill after I left for home. Wish I had found out about it then!

David T

Offline Allen7

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2008, 06:22:33 pm »
Unfortunately, I have not been able to afford a trip to Hungary.   I have been training with Todd Delle in Montana, who is leader of Kassai USA.   Todd trains with Kassai in Hungary once a year.   I can barely afford to travel around the NW.   I may have to start riding my horses to work, if gas gets too much higher.  Sometime I need to post some photos of my primitive arrows.   I am a better arrow maker than bowyer.   Too many of my self bows have failed.   I've had a lot of practice making arrows, partly because I loose or destroy so many.   I busted two arrows last night while practicing.   -- Allen

Offline Keenan

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2008, 08:52:18 pm »
 Nice pics Allen. I can do that off my 26 yr old draft horse but it's not as exciting when the will barely walk let alone gallope :D   I decided to find the spall that JJ and Tiller were razing me about and discovered it's in JJ bronco. Seems that I had hid it in the stocking hat for safety ::)  Now I'm sure that JJ going to make me beg and gravle just to get it back, ::)  Keenan

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2008, 12:14:13 am »
so what kind of person wears a hat with a hole in the top of it???? ??? then actually hides something "precious" in it  and leaves it in a off road vehicle ??? ??? I hate to tell you this, but I cant find your spall, did you have it wrapped in something else as well as the conehead friendly hat? I mean seriously...I have never seen a hat with a drawstring in the top of it  :o I can only imagine what the purpose of that could possibly be, maybe to let a little rain in once in a while? or maybe to get a tan on a bald spot? I guess if you get too hot it could ventilate a little, otherwise you would have to go to all the trouble of having to remove the hat, what a pain! ;D may have to post a pic or two of this hat ;D ;D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2008, 12:27:33 am »
That looks like a great time Keenan/ D tiller - hopefully I can swing by one of these days :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.