Author Topic: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)  (Read 69068 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2008, 11:27:09 am »
Looks like a great time-I'd like to get out to Glass Buttes one of these years. JJ, your Bronco brings back some memories. One of my hunting buddies when I was a teenager had one just like that-it was probably the best and toughest4 wheel drive I've ever driven. It would get you into places that you were afraid to come back out of :) We racked up I don't know how many thousands of miles bear and coon hunting in that thing on these old rough mountain pig trail "roads". I'd like to find one of those in decent shape.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2008, 01:20:40 pm »
 ;D ;D  JJ don't you dare harm my favorite hat. And yes the opening in the top is to regulate the heat,  :D Not that I've ever been a hot head ;D But my wife laugh histericaly about the bald spot coment ::) If you can't find that "perfect" "Fluted" spall that I made well it's ok At least I was able to show you that it is possible :D :D

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2008, 02:12:11 am »
That looks like a great time Keenan/ D tiller - hopefully I can swing by one of these days :)..

You better! I'm looking forward to watching your eyes bug out when you see all the Knappable material and different kinds all in one spot!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Little John

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2008, 12:10:59 pm »
David, dosen't look so good for sharing a car but that is ok, I just thought maybe, you never know.

Allen, be nice if we could ever get together. Would love to shoot with others, what kills me is that the big mounted get together falls right during the archery elk season. When you make your run, from what distance do you take your first shot to be able to get off three arrows? From a running horse I must be within25 yards to have a decent chance for a hit and within a couple of seconds am past the target. How far are you from the target as you pass?  Maybe I need to set up my course with two or three targets and shoot them as I come to them. Any way cant wait to get an archery horse that dosen't need to do other riding disiplines.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2008, 12:27:54 pm »
Alen you can still work that Point down cant you// Or glue it up and use it for a Display Piece...or send it to me and I will mount it on a Spear and give it a Home on my Bedroom Wall.......... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2008, 06:16:53 pm »
Great stuff guys.  I've never thought of combining my love of my horses with archery.  That might be the next step.  ::)

This all goes to show that life is Good.

Otoe

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2008, 08:03:48 pm »
Now everyone must reply with the sacred mantra in reply! "LIFE IS GOOD!!!"  ;D ;D ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2008, 01:21:22 am »
1...2...3...Life. Is. Good.   8)

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2008, 01:45:16 am »
I just made it back from Glass Butte.  David, you weren't joking about the weather - it was COLD.  People were telling me it was 8 - 10 degrees in Bend, and that is a lot lower elevation.  I was sleeping fully clothed and double bagging the sleeping bags!  The five gallon water jug I brought with me never thawed the whole time I was there, but I had small water bottles I could keep in the sleeping bag with me to keep from freezing.

This was my first Knap-in.  I had a great first exposure to knapping, and gathered some obsidian - but I had to use a bar to get it off of the frozen ground...

Dave, did you meet/know Mic and Holly?  They live in Lacey, which is just a few miles from me.  Mic volunteered to give me some arrowhead knapping lessons!  Attached is a photo of part of Mic's stash he was creating while sitting close to the fire.

Keith

[attachment deleted by admin]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2008, 04:21:41 am »
Hey Keith! Yep! I know both Mic and Holly. I saw them come in and join us the day I had to leave on Sunday evening. Mic is a kick and Holly is a lot of fun. I'm planning on getting together with them this summer and hiking with Mic. Unfortunatly Holly busted her ankle last year and is not up to hiking.

You coming up to Whidbey Island this August for the Knapadonia knapp Inn at Joe Higins place?

Mic can really turn out the bifaces! Starting to figure out how he does it but it drives me nuts at how easily he punches them out,

The temp at the Buttes can be brutal. Amaized you got through it for a whole week! Next year I'm going to figure a way to hook up an electric blanket to a car battery!

David T

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2008, 10:39:06 am »
Mmmm, bi-faces ;D. That's a nice stash 8).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2008, 12:46:54 pm »
Paul, you should see the bucket full of them he carries arround with him. Those few are juts a teaser!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2008, 01:04:07 pm »
Keith, Glad you were able to make it. Sorry we couldn't have stayed longer to meet you. You are right it can be absolutely hard core weather however it can be increddibly nice as well. When we were there the first weekend it was definately nippy at night but the days were sunny, calm and much better then expected. My first time out there about 4 years ago it was sunny and hot and worked up a sweat digging for rocks. So just keep in mind how much fun,free rock and talents that there is out there and we'll see you there next year.
  Did you get to watch Emory break some rock? Or meet and drool over Steve Alley's bows ;D  Keenan

Offline Keenan

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2008, 11:09:25 pm »
Hey JJ,  I found that spall today. Was out on a job and grad a new pair of gloves and stuck my hand in the glove :o :o :o Oh ya now I remember ??? I put it in the glue to keep it safe ;D ;D Proof that my brain dose not always funtction on all three cylinders ;D  Thankfully I only cut the pinky slightly.  Keenan

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2008, 12:46:06 am »
Keenan - yeah, sorry we didn't connect.  Maybe sometime when I don't have to worry about my bow snapping from the cold?   ::)  I was told Emory might come back, but he wasn't there Friday or Saturday morning.  There was a group talking about a blanket prize shoot on Saturday if the weather permitted, but I left mid morning. 

David - I hope to make it to Whidbey.  I might actually have figured out how to flake an arrowhead by then if I can hook up with Mic!   Did you get Dacite while you were at Glass Butte, or something different? 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...